You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quick Selection Issues

Long time supporter of Serif, and am pleased that they are moving on to developing modern software for modern computers without the hangup of legacy software. There will perhaps be an issue with some of my legacy files but that's progress.

I'm getting these behaviours on the current beta - 1.5.0.44 on Windows 10.

Firstly
1. Take rasterised photo

2. select paint brush tool and set colour to white (or any other colour)

3. hover brush over photo - there's white within the shape of the brush, which if you wait without moving the brush will go transparent until move brush again (shouldn't this retain the visual of the selected colour?)

4. press Q for quick mask while the white colour is still in the brush shape

5. Brush leaves white brush mark on photo

6. If you go on to define a quick selection, ie paint in quick mask mode without clicking again, then press Q again to see selection - there's a white brush mark within the selection.

7, If you click off layer visibility and then click it again to turn on, the white circular paint mark disappears leaving just the selection - or wipe the brush over the white mark without clicking.

Secondly
Enter quick mask  mode and then select a grey to paint with some transparency. When deselect Quick mask mode, there are no marching ants. However, if you duplicate the layer you have the selected contents (painted) area with transparency. I assume there should be marching ants to show the selection.

Or am I completely misunderstanding how things work?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey Wasp11b,

Sorry about the late reply  :unsure: This looks like a redraw issue to me. Zooming in/out also gets rid of the white mark. I think the brush losing its colour after a short delay of being idle is intentional so you can see what is behind your brush, but I'll double check. 

The second issue you raised looks like a bug. It seems to work fine on the Mac. I'll get this passed over, thank you. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.