You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm fairly new to using Affinity Designer after switching over from Adobe Illustrator. I am basically working on a document which has vector/JPEG objects inserted. It is intended for print, but I would also require a digital version for web purposes. 

When I export the document as a PDF for print at 300dpi, it seems fine; the JPEG images look sharp as well as the vectors (just as everything looks when working on the document at 100% scale). But when I export the same document as a PDF for web at 72dpi, all of my vectors are nice and sharp, the document is the right size, but my JPEG images become extremely pixelated. I've attached a snippet from an exported web PDF.

Document information:

Type: Print

Page Preset: A3

300DPI

Any ideas as to why this might be happening?

post-44125-0-41945300-1480534686_thumb.jpg

Hit the "More" button in the PDF tab of the export dialog. There you can quite well configure in a much controlled way than using a preset.

For example, set "downsample images" kind of at least over 200 dpi.  (instead of 100 or 72)

if you totally need Jpg compression, increase that 85 quality value till you get a test sample you see with enough little compression artifacts.

My take on pdfs that would need to be downloaded, back in the days -and today connections are quite better- was that if no special interest was put into super small PDFs, I'd try to get the best resolution with sizes not going higher than 5 to 7 MB. Of course depends on the number of pages. But i usually never did set less than 150 or 200 dpi. And when they'd let me, 300, just ensuring zip or jpg compression. (PS allows zip compression)

IMO, just play with the pdf settings of 'images resolution' -dpi- , and jpg compression value, doing tests till you get sth you like. Also, you have there the rasterization option. You have 3 options there, useful each one for different cases.

What i can see in that image is : Low dpi -quite- and huge compression artifacts. Now, to be sincere, jpg is sth I rarely use in PDFs due to my usual workflows lately, so haven't tested yet in AD/AP, so, there's always this issue with apps and jpg dialogs. Some refer to "quality" some to compression. So, not sure if you need to raise or lower the value... (laughs allowed...)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I'm currently working on my design portfolio and need to compress the files so that I can send digital copies to hiring companies. A lot of which only accept files that are 5-10mb, so it can be a bit difficult getting files looking presentable, whilst remaining low in size. 

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

You need to play (like you would in PS or any other), in "advanced" pdf export settings, with JPG compression qquality settings, and playing with the "only re scale above" x dpi, playing several values of dpi. 

I personally tend to prefer zip compression (I believe not present in AP)  ( it is ! ) , never jpg. But...! You can play with high values of JPG compression, a bit higher dpi than which you are using.  I personally prefer so as JPG has the ability to introduce artifacts. The size / pixelation is easier to control, less unpredictable.

I can tell you playing well with the settings, you obtain a much higher quality / size ratio than if you just use presets and don't test different settings for your case.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• Staff

SrPx is right that it's unlikely the defaults would be perfectly suited to your specific task (and it seems clear that it's not in this instance). I do believe that Photo allows ZIP compression for images output to PDF from the 'more' button on the export dialog, and if your image is broadly flat colours you will get better results and possibly even a smaller file size as a result :)

Let us know how you get on!

Matt

I personally tend to prefer zip compression (I believe not present in AP) , never jpg.

Affinity Photo does support zip compression. As it is a lossless format, we always use it where appropriate to save space and don't bother offering an option to turn it off. If JPEG is enabled, we save with both PNG and JPEG and use whichever is smaller.

Hi guys, 

Having a play around with the JPEG compression/DPI/downsampling seems to be working for me. I think setting the dpi around 144 seems to be doing the trick of blurring out any blockiness affected by the image compression. Can be a bit hit and miss as each file contains a different amount of images that require compression, but that's to be expected. Thanks for the ZIP compression suggestion also, I've always used JPEG compression (for some reason) when exporting files in Photoshop; so that's been helpful. 

Thanks for all of the support! Appreciate it.

You are welcome :)