You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Compatability with Faststone viewer on Windows.

I'm currently sat in my local camera club, and have asked that my images be quickly previewed on the club's Windows PC which uses Faststone viewer. The images were saved using Affinity Photo export to jpeg.

Below is one of my images.

Has anyone got any ideas to stop this from happening. Surly saving as a common file such as jpeg should stop things like this happening.

post-33825-0-19705600-1475744390_thumb.jpg

Edit - still getting to grips attaching images with this forum interface - scuse me.

Ah - must have mistakenly deleted it.

Re-attached in the original post.

The camera club are heavy Photoshop and Lightroom users, and this is not helping me try to show that Affinity Photo is a good program.

Yes - AP is a Mac program at the moment - but this shouldn't be happening when I save these images as JPEGs which is a standard file format world wide.

Seems Faststone is highlighting all the editing in the picture - which was just playing with levels to be honest.

Again - this shouldn't be happening.

Images was flattened before saving and exporting.  The image was also checked on the Missus's Windows lap-top - and no problems were apparent, so I'm guessing it's only Faststone that pulls the image apart.

• Staff

Hi Rigger, I can't reproduce this at all on my Windows box, I've tried exporting both simple and complicated edits with no issues - are you adjusting any settings in the "More" tab on the export dialog? What colour profile are you working in, just standard sRGB?

Is there any chance you might be able to attach a JPEG that's causing issues for the viewer? Also, are you using the latest version just in case it's a known issue that has been fixed? (The version I downloaded today is 5.9)

Thanks

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

I can't reproduce this at home, as I only use a Mac.

I'll try this on an old laptop, and install Faststone on that too, and see what happens.

This comes about only at the camera club (so far), and there should be an image in the first post showing the effects it has - almost highlighting the changes as a part negative image.

I've even tried previewing the images on the missus's windows laptop - albeit only using windows image viewer, not faststone.

I'm not doing anything complicated in the export box - and I'll attach two screen grabs.  I've not even noticed the 'more' before now.  If saving as a jpeg, I choose 100% quality to preserve image quality, and then export.

post-33825-0-10834000-1475830712_thumb.png

post-33825-0-79741600-1475830712_thumb.png

• Staff

This comes about only at the camera club (so far), and there should be an image in the first post showing the effects it has - almost highlighting the changes as a part negative image.

Hey, sorry, I meant would it be possible to attach an image that isn't decoding properly (rather than a screen grab of what's happening) - that way I can get a better idea of what might be causing the visual corruption.

Do you know if the computer at the camera club has the latest version of Faststone viewer?

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hey, sorry, I meant would it be possible to attach an image that isn't decoding properly (rather than a screen grab of what's happening) - that way I can get a better idea of what might be causing the visual corruption.

Do you know if the computer at the camera club has the latest version of Faststone viewer?

Hi James,

as far as I know the Camera Club are using the latest version, but I'll check tonight.  They do have a fair number of other viewer programs though.

I'll pm you one of the images I'm having problems with, if that's ok.

James,

you're a star.

I'm not keen sharing my images online, and so talked to James direct, through email.

As you might have guessed, he's solved the problem.

My photos were being stored as P3, instead of sRGB.

I'm going to have to try and find a way of ensuring this is a default from now on.

Thanks again - probably not much help to many people - but there is a solution to those who do, suffer from similar problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to square one, albeit with some progress.

Tried the same image as in the first post - at the camera club.

Colour profile has currently been saved as sRGB, so this should have over come the colour incompatibility previously seen, using AP colour profile P3.

Image was exactly the same.  ie a mix of normal and negative - not nice.

Progress however, when I noticed the club's windows desk-top has Faststone 5.3.  Not the latest 5.9.

Some-one at the club said they are going to try updating - when I pointed out the help I've had on here, and not being able to replicate the image with faults.

Will keep posted as to what happens - but may be a few weeks as away again soon for a few more weeks.

THIS LOOKS LIKE SPAM PJC

KrojamSoft PhotoViewerPro is great to view all images within a folder . You can organize and view/edit images. View images on a calendar etc.Try it out

Not for me to dictate to the camera club which program to use, more so as a newer member.