You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Im trying to create a diagram that is like a large circle only with the circle being made up of 3 arrows pointing clockwise. I don't see a "Tool" image that does this so I was wondering if anyone has a technique to do this? They are going to be "fat" or wide arrows where I will have text following the same contour inside the image. I have another post on how to get the text to follow the same contour. Thanks for any assistance in learning how to do this. Thanks

Here's a method I would use.

Start by making a circle centered on the circle for the text. After drawing it big enough, convert it to a doughnut, w. a total angle of 90 degrees. This will leave enough arc, 30 degrees, to place a triangle that has been rotated to line up w. the end of the doughnut section.

Select both, and use the boolean add.

Snapping on, move the rotation center for the new shape to the center of the central circle. Copy/paste and rotate 120 degrees using rotation constraint.

See illustration.

post-34886-0-70429200-1475532150_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• Staff

Hi Edferrigan,

The Convert to Donut button should be towards the top of the app as long as you have the circle selected :) (see attached)

Thanks

C

post-12469-0-16811500-1475569133_thumb.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Again, I'm a Designer user, but assuming the donut tool is part on of Photo's shapes, sure. The doughnut tool appears to just be a sub-set of modifiers for the circle.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

Here is a shot of something I just put together, a little different than the previous example. Snapping is turned on.

post-34886-0-82102100-1475706669_thumb.jpg

I made a circle, and added text to conform to the shape. Not very good, I've never done much w. text.

Then I drew a doughnut from the center of the text holding circle. I made it big enough to have space for the arrows after I opened made the doughnut hole. The total arc was 120 degrees, 1/3rd of the circle.

Repeated the operation to make another doughnut, but w. less of an arc. It was a little messy. I had to fuss with the arc size to find enough space to fit an acceptable arrowhead triangle. I'm just doing this by eye, not fine math.

After making a slightly acute triangle, I rotated it, and moved it to where it slightly overlapped the circle arc. Then used the boolean add function to create a single shape. 

Next step. This is important. Click on the "show center of rotation" widget. Move the center of rotation to the center of the text containing circle. The illustration shows where the rotation center is for 1 of the arrows. Copy. Paste. Rotate the curved arrow by its rotation handle. Hold the shift key down when doing that, and stop when reaching 120 degrees.

Repeat.

Hope this works for you. W. a little practice, many things can be done very quickly.

Huion WH1409 tablet