You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing 2 color film separations

Hi ElBeam

I've just exported a simple black shape with a separated red spot coloured shop and the spot colour does seem to be separated from the standard cmyk plates when analysed. It should be ticked by default, but can you just check that honour spot colours is checked in the more section of the export dialog for PDF?

If it's still not working correctly for you, are you able to post an example file so we can take a closer look?

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

More info: the printing press people are the ones telling me there is a problem:

- When I export, I definitely have spot colours checked

- the background image is grayscale, the type is spot

- in the PDF file, I can see that a 5th colour was added, but for some reason my grayscale image is being converted to cmyk?

No worries about the size, D.

As you can see, the Yellow text is the Pantone color:

post-255-0-33579000-1475087592_thumb.png

The background image is a CMYK mix. I don't know whether you saved the image out from PS or another image editor as a grayscale with a grayscale profile or not. Nor have I even tried in the Windows beta (which is what I would be using) to replicate this potential issue.

This image can be converted to gray using Acrobat. If you do not have Acrobat, I can upload your PDF with the image as gray at 10% dot gain.

post-255-0-99926200-1475087934_thumb.png

I'll see what happens in the beta.

Wait a second. I just noticed that Overprint was showing as a flag. Using Acrobat's Object Inspector, I discovered you are using a blend mode on the Pantone Type. This may well be throwing the RIP off at the printer. I am not near the computer with the RIP (home today) so I cannot check if this is true. But I don't believe it should be using a blend mode.

post-255-0-31872800-1475088580_thumb.png

hi mike thanks for trying to assist!

A) for clarity are you suggesting that my the pantone is not set to "spot" but to "a cmyk blend"? 

B) and - it is the image background that is running in CMYK (which was originally set up and saved as a  grayscale file that is confusing... do you think this affects A? 

Hi D,

A) There is a blend mode on the layer, on the image or something. It is affecting your Pantone spot color. Without seeing the AD file, I wouldn't know.

B ) Yes, the image is turning into a CMYK image.

I just tried the Windows beta. I have no idea how to get a grayscale image out of AD. I imported one with a variety of gray embedded profiles. In every instance the image was CMYK on PDF output. the only method I can see is to export the PDF as a grayscale PDF, which defeats your needs.

Using the same images in say CorelDraw, the image remained grayscale (and with a variety of layout software). If AD can do it, it is just yet another non-intuitive process. If AD cannot honor gray images, then to me it is another "not ready for primetime" thing.

If this is a time-sensitive project, and you do not have other software to do this in that will honor the grayscale and or cannot get the Pantone to export without the blend mode, I can run it here and upload the PDF. Gratis, no charge type of thing.

Mike

Wow! I would be tremendously grateful for your help. Shall I upload the AD file and send you the link? 

(I've done this a bagillion times with Illustrator etc with no problems but this is driving me nuts! Never used any other programs besides the CSuite until this switeroo).

What say you?

No worries. Because AD cannot apparently do this two-color job, let me upload a pdf version for your inspection.

It likely would be good to zip up the image itself you used just to make sure that extracting it from the pdf didn't harm it in anyway. Never has before, but things can happen!

Here's a PDF made using the image from the PDF, the type converted to curves. The image is grayscale, the Pantone is correct. It's a two-color job.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/npknrm4mjl90b31/efram%20ph5%2018x24.pdf?dl=0

I'm downloading the AD ZIP package now. I do need to run to the office and meet with a customer and so I'll be gone a couple hours. In the meantime, please inspect the PDF at the link and you can decide whether I should re-run it with the new ZIP contents.

Mike

The pdf I uploaded at the link is good to go.

I created another after saving out your image and there is no difference. Once I get back from the office, I can upload the regen, but there is nothing to be gained. After I upload it I'll post the link and you can decide...

I hope you guys figure this out.  I've been trying to accomplish this for quite sometime using bitmap images.  AD always converts them to CMYK.  The only way I've been able to get spot colors to separate correctly is using all vector objects.  I have not been able to switch to AD for just this reason.  So for now I'm stuck using Freehand and Illustrator.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.