You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AI file import ignores "offscreen" objects

Hi all,

I definitely miss some options when I import my old AI files.

At the moment AD only imports the objects that are placed within the document area. Nothing that is placed around / outside the work area/document area.

So each time I want to open my old Adobe Illustrator files I have to open AI, move all my objects into the work area OR just change the document to a huge area so that every object will be covered, to get sure that AD imports my work.

It would save sooooooooo much time, if I could choose an import option like "all" (or just ignore AI art board settings) and get as much as possible.

And as long as AD imports Illustrator files like that, I need to have Adobe Illustrator installed. What I definitely don't want.

Thank you so much for thinking about that option.

Cheers,

Stefan.

Affinity Designer | Affinity Photo | Affinity Publisher

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;
MacBookPro (13 inch, Early 2015); 3.1 GHz i7 CPU; 16 GB RAM

Schubi63,

It would be great to have that functionality but I would guess that they won't be able to add it. Designer reads the PDF stream in the .ai file and I would guess that objects off of the canvas aren't included in the PDF stream (just a guess). At least you have a way to get things into Designer from Illustrator (even though it isn't ideal)! 

Best of luck,

Hokusai

Hi Hokusai,

that would be ...

I really really hope that there will be a better way of importing AI files. If you will need Illustrator to make sure you can fully use your work or client files - then I can continue to use Illustrator. But I don't like that idea. :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Stefan.

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Stefan,

I think the best solution would be to request that your clients don't put objects that are needed outside of the canvas. I know, it isn't easy to make clients change their ways but I can't see any other way that will to do it. If I was one of your clients, I wouldn't think it was a ridiculous request. 

Good luck,

Hokusai

If I was one of your clients, I wouldn't think it was a ridiculous request. 

Hokusai,

you are right. As a client I would think so ... but my problem is: my work. I was used to do so over the last years. Whenever I had to work with AI I did my work inside and outside of the artboard / print area (for all the prework, trials, variations etc.).

I was thinking about this problem ... and asked myself if it isn't solvable by manipulating the artboard/document dimension to the max during import process. Because we speak about the .AI file which contains all the object. And if I open AI and set the document dimension manually to "the maximum" and save the file > the afterward import progress of AD is perfect.

Cheer, 

Stefan.

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Hokusai,

you are right. As a client I would think so ... but my problem is: my work. I was used to do so over the last years. Whenever I had to work with AI I did my work inside and outside of the artboard / print area (for all the prework, trials, variations etc.).

I was thinking about this problem ... and asked myself if it isn't solvable by manipulating the artboard/document dimension to the max during import process. Because we speak about the .AI file which contains all the object. And if I open AI and set the document dimension manually to "the maximum" and save the file > the afterward import progress of AD is perfect.

Cheer, 

Stefan.

Maybe you should consider to change your habits.  :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Maybe you should consider to change your habits.  :)

Yes.

Thanks.

I did it now.

But it does not help me in any way, when I want to use (open) my old work (files) ?!

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

I suppose you don't need to open all AI files at once, so you move all artboard elements to new page(s) only when you need to import a specific AI file into Designer.

Hope this help.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)