You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

loading images from an external hard drive

Hi,

That is all I use, the external drive. I create a new folder for any pictures I'm downloading from the card. 

1. I create and name the folder and move it or copy it to where I want it to reside. I use Photos as my primary.

2. I then insert my card into the back of the Imac and it comes up automatically. I use a Canon 60D and it brings up two files. I click on the one

named Canon 100 and all of the pictures show up in list format by number.

3. i then copy them,

4. Paste them into the folder from above and they are now there.

5. I delete the two files from the card or  you will end up copying them everytime.

6. I really don't use Apple Iphotos as I just don't like the program.

7. I use Affinity photo or PhotoScape X. Both are relatively cheap in the neighorhood

of $30-$40.

Hope this helps,

Don 

• Staff

If you are using Apple Photos you must set up the your library as System Photo Library, otherwise your images will not show up on the Open dialog, Media | Photos section (or in Affinity Media Browser). To do this open Apple Photos Preferences, General tab and press Use as System Photo Library button.

Files stored on regular folders on an external drive should be available through File ▸ Open like any other folder on your local disk drive.

1. I create and name the folder and move it or copy it to where I want it to reside. I use Photos as my primary.

[...]

6. I really don't use Apple Iphotos as I just don't like the program.

Hi Don!

It is a bit hard to follow what you wrote because of the (annoying!) way Apple has named some things:

There are two Mac apps with similar names, "iPhoto" & "Photos" (note the plural name). iPhoto is no longer supported & has been replaced with Photos, although it is possible to have both installed on a Mac. Each one can have one or more libraries, but only their main ("system") ones are accessible through the open dialogs, as MEB described.

So it is not completely clear from what you wrote if you are talking about a Photos (the Apple app) folder, which would normally be in a library or a regular folder created independently of either Apple app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7