You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No snapping when alt-dragging a shape.

I've searched around but can't find the answer to this, and for me, it's an annoying one.

If I create an object then proceed to duplicate it pressing alt+drag (or alt+shift+drag) and move it, no snapping will occur, not on any line, ruler, grid, pixel, vector etc. It's an free floating object.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I feel like this function should be added. I often work with UI and want to be able quickly align new elements w/o needing to zoom in and place them again because there's a pixel gap of 1-2 pixels.

out of the top of my head, cause i dont have AD in front of me now, couldn't there be a key swap or smth to work around that?

like to be able to define snap ignoring as ctrl+alt so that you don't get the sideffect

edit:

if you just let go of alt without releasing the mouse button it returns to snapping :) 

I've searched around but can't find the answer to this, and for me, it's an annoying one.

If I create an object then proceed to duplicate it pressing alt+drag (or alt+shift+drag) and move it, no snapping will occur, not on any line, ruler, grid, pixel, vector etc. It's an free floating object.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I feel like this function should be added. I often work with UI and want to be able quickly align new elements w/o needing to zoom in and place them again because there's a pixel gap of 1-2 pixels.

I asked the same question some time ago (see here).

Answer: use CTRL+drag instead and copied objects snap to it's original.

I hope that helps.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

The help file in designer says to temporarily override snapping: press the alt key while you're positioning an object. Snapping won't occur while the key is depressed.

I think this is a cool feature as sometimes snapping is irritating when you are positioning an object. Rather than having to turn snapping off, you can just press the alt key while positioning the object. Then release the alt key after positioning and AD returns to normal snapping function. Just be aware if you press alt before you start moving the object, the object will be duplicated. To disable snapping temporarily, you need to press alt after you start moving the object.

As Dominik said use CTRL+drag to position an object and still allow snapping to work. Hope this helps.

iMac (24 inch, M1, 8 cores, 16 GB Memory, 2021)

iPad Pro 12.9", 3rd Generation

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.