You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening PSD and Jpeg files???

Hi All,

Brand new to Affinity Photo. Saw on the site that it works with PSD files.

I'm trying to open several and keep getting this error message. 

"Failed to open PSD file"

--- location and name of document ---

"The file was not found."

I've tried navigating to the files, and standard Mac drag into app process, still no luck.

Or with jpeg files, I get "The file could not be opened because permission was denied."

Now, I am the sole owner and user of this machine. So there is only one user, with full read/write permissions applied.

So far, I've only been able to open the test images in the welcome box.

What obvious solution am I missing here???    :)

Thanks.

- Sol

Well, my first attempt were from a Lightning-connected Drobo unit, which is where my main photo library is. Thinking that maybe that's the issue, for whatever reason, I then tried PSD and jpeg files directly from my iMac's desktop. Same results. I tried a few varying size files in case that was creating the problem, still no luck. 

Feels like a permissions thing somehow, but again, I am the only user of this system. So can't see where the conflict would be.

Thank you for the "welcoming".  :)

Anyone else have a suggestion on this original post?

I'm sure the app works nicely, based on various reviews. And yes, I am looking for a fully-featured Photo and Design tool - non-subscription, Photoshop replacement. Affinity Photo seems like a real possibility. But is literally, unusable for me right now. Except for the included opening-screen test images. 

It seems like it's in a "Demo" mode or something. Is there a button or setting I may have missed???

- Sol

Well, my first attempt were from a Lightning-connected Drobo unit, which is where my main photo library is. Thinking that maybe that's the issue, for whatever reason, I then tried PSD and jpeg files directly from my iMac's desktop.

I assume you mean something other than a Lightning connection (Thunderbolt maybe?) but regardless of that for testing purposes you need to make sure the file you are trying open is actually stored on the internal drive of your Mac, somewhere in your home folder.

The best way to do that is to, with the option key held down drag the file into a folder you know is in your home folder, for Example the Pictures folder. You should get a plus symbol in a green circle next to the pointer, indicating a copy is being made. Try opening that copy.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Tried this. It sort of worked.

The PSD file opened, but the actual main image screen was gray. I can see thumbs on the layers, but nothing in the main window view.

If I zoom, the scroll bars appear, but still no image there, just gray.