You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File loss issue with Affinity Pulisher 2 Data

Hello,
I'm currently working on my document with Affinity, it's an incredibly important document for me as it's my bachelor's thesis.
I was working on the file yesterday.
I saved the file externally to my hard drive yesterday and when I tried to open it this morning Affinity gave me an error message that no file was found.
I am now desperate, I have already tried to restore it but nothing works.
I hope someone can help me with it.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Musti.K.

20 minutes ago, Musti.K said:

Affinity gave me an error message that no file was found.

Can you give us a screenshot of the exact message?

And also a screenshot showing the file in File Explorer or Finder?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Musti.K.

Can you give us a screenshot of the exact message?

And also a screenshot showing the file in File Explorer or Finder?

Hi, thank you for your reply!

The file type is a .afpub and I created and saved in Affinity 

It says "Could not open file. The file type is not supported“

Does this help?

Screenshot 2024-05-05 164958.png

Screenshot 2024-05-05 165139.png

Thanks. That "not supported" message usually means the file was corrupted while it was being Saved.

It is sometimes possible to recover these, but often it is not possible. That makes it very important to keep multiple copies and have a good backup strategy and also a good strategy for verifying that the Saved copies are good. (I know, that doesn't help you this time, but it's something to consider for the future, and we can talk about it more later if you want.)

I'll assume, given the content of that file, that you won't want to share it here publicly. When the Serif staff get to this topic they will be able to provide a private upload link where you could give them a copy to see if they can recover it.

For now, you might try creating a new Publisher document. Then, in that document, use Document > Add pages from file... and try adding pages from the file that is giving problems. You might first try adding all the pages. If that fails, you could try adding a subset of the pages. This may let you recover some of the data.

You could also try Placing the original .afpub file into a new document, which may allow you to recover some or all of the data.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. That "not supported" message usually means the file was corrupted while it was being Saved.

It is sometimes possible to recover these, but often it is not possible. That makes it very important to keep multiple copies and have a good backup strategy and also a good strategy for verifying that the Saved copies are good. (I know, that doesn't help you this time, but it's something to consider for the future, and we can talk about it more later if you want.)

I'll assume, given the content of that file, that you won't want to share it here publicly. When the Serif staff get to this topic they will be able to provide a private upload link where you could give them a copy to see if they can recover it.

For now, you might try creating a new Publisher document. Then, in that document, use Document > Add pages from file... and try adding pages from the file that is giving problems. You might first try adding all the pages. If that fails, you could try adding a subset of the pages. This may let you recover some of the data.

You could also try Placing the original .afpub file into a new document, which may allow you to recover some or all of the data.

I have been unable to resolve the issue. I hope that a moderator will see this and be able to provide some guidance.

Also thank you very much for your assistance this far,

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: