You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Taskbar Issue on Windows 11 With Designer 2

I've been having an issue with my PC taskbar since the V2 update. Whenever I open Designer 2, the icons on my taskbar freeze. when i click them, the blue loading circle appears by my mouse until i click the taskbar again. Then the task bar turns white, I click again and it disappears completely, after another click, the taskbar reappears and works without issue for an indetermined amount of time. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I haven't seen that exact issue reported before, though there are several about the taskbar icons on Windows: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=Taskbar icons&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=128

Did you install using the default MSIX version of the application installer, or did you use the optional EXE/MSI version?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

9 minutes ago, adekn said:

Pretty sure it was the MSIX if that's the default but is there anyway I can check?

Right-click on it in the Start menu, and tell or show us what drop-down entries you get.

Or, expand its entry in Task Manager, right-click on the middle line, and choose Open File Location. If the WindowsApps folder is in the path, it's the MSIX.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, debraspicher said:

Check Windows Logs in Event Viewer for the cause. Will be under Windows Logs>Application or System. Sounds like your explorer.exe is crashing.

You can type it into Windows Search to access it:

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/how-to-get-started-with-event-viewer-on-windows-11

I'll keep an eye on the event viewer the next time it happens, thanks

41 minutes ago, adekn said:

It's In the Apps > Installed Apps folder from settings

That doesn't help me. Sorry. I would need to see where the executable file is located. The MSIX version is within a path that includes WindowsApps. The EXE/MSI version is within (usually) Program Files.

From the right-click menu I think you have the EXE/MSI version, as with the MSIX I get a list of recent files tha the EXE/MSI doesn't show.

-- Walt
PC:

On 5/9/2024 at 2:14 AM, adekn said:

When I right-click from the taskbar it does have a list of the recent files

That should mean you're running the MSIX version.

I have no idea why your taskbar icons might be misbehaving, though. I've never seen that, and I've used both the MSIX and MSI/EXE versions of the Affinity V2 applications.

-- Walt
PC:

@adekn,

I'm not sure if Win11 removed this. In Win10 Right-click on the Desktop, choose Personalize. This will open the Personalize dialog of Settings. Then choose Start. Scroll down and select the option shown in my screenshot. If you don't see it, I think they removed it from Win11.

I tried this on Win10, with the MSIX Affinity apps and it does allow the recent files to be displayed when right-click on taskbar icons.

settings_personalize_Start.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD