You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EPS export

• Staff

@RonMDThanks for your feedback.

Your test file does have a 3mm bleed applied, is this correct?

Which method are you using to confirm the size of the exported EPS file?

Have you tried exporting with Rasterise set to everything and compare?

Hi @RonMD,

For some reason when the EPS file is opened instead of using X: -3 mm, Y: -3 mm it gets set to X: -3 mm, Y: -2.7 mm (or to be more accurate X: -3.000022 mm, Y: -2.686049 mm and therefore W: 164.000036 mm, H: 89.99996 mm which may explain the difference in size you're seeing...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

Yes u use 3mm bleed,....that is correct.. I made the EPS in Publisher and I also opened it in Publisher to confirm the size.

I see the -2.7 which is strange but ok that can be fixed,... but still:... When I open the EPS in publisher and check in 'document setup' the size of the document has changed with0.3mm The original publisher file is 158x48mm and the eps is 158x48,3. So all the content looks ok but its a bit worrying for me to send this out,... 

Hi @RonMD,

I've just tested this on Windows (so it may be different on Mac) and there appears to be a bug here when exporting to EPS with and without bleed, i.e., they are reversed:

• When bleed isn't selected, it exports with bleed  i.e., the X and Y coordinates are shown as X: -3 mm, Y: -3 mm
  • When bleed is selected it exports without bleed, i.e., the X and Y coordinates are shown as X: 0 mm, Y: 0 mm

That aside, when opening the version technically with bleed the Y coordinate is shown as 0.311151 mm instead of 0 mm...

I see the following when exporting a 158 mm x 84 mm source file to EPS: 

• Export with bleed: X: 0 mm, Y: 0.311151 mm, W: 164.000035 mm, H: 89.999996 mm
  • Export without bleed: X: -3.000022 mm, Y: -2.686044 mm, W: 164.000036 mm, H: 89.999996 mm

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

looks like its different on Mac yes,.... however both your exports show a very acceptable final size of the eps which is close enough to 164 x90mm. I actually see 164x90mm on Mac when I just select the content in the EPS.

So the problem stays... I'm now exporting a pdf,.. opening it in adobe illustrator,...saving it as an illustrator eps and putting that in an indesign file to make sure the size and positoning is correct,... 

Thanks a lot anyway for your help!! both of you,...and I hope there will be a fix for this soon :)

On 5/2/2024 at 3:31 PM, RonMD said:

When I open the EPS in publisher and check in 'document setup' the size of the document has changed with0.3mm The original publisher file is 158x48mm and the eps is 158x48,3. So all the content looks ok but its a bit worrying for me to send this out,... 

Millimetres are first converted in pixels which are Affinity's internal measure units. 
Then on export, —because EPS is a format based on the Adobe PostScript point used in all their programs (this so-called DTP point is exactly 1/72" or about 0,3527 mm)—  that pixel measure is converted in points, according to the chosen resolution (when I open your EPS export, it's given to be 192 pixels per inch?), and then rounded up to the next full point — shown in grey on the 2nd line.
At this stage, we have the error you saw: rounded points and corresponding millimetres. 

image.png.91680a7da552b39bf94532e98f9349a1.png

You better see it in width because the rounded gap is very large, almost a whole point ; in height, the rounding error is not so noticeable. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

Wow,.. I guess this explains it and we just have to live with this then,... fortunately this is not an everyday issue for me. 

Thanks for taking the time for this!

I've found that it's easier if, when I want to print a document I set myself a round value in points – closest to the desired millimetre dimension. And if for screen, I use round pixels. 

—Anyway the difference is minimal (max 1/3 mm) but these precautions can be useful if an automated flightcheck grouses for inappropriate dimensions, or to avoid a white line on the edge at export.

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.