You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyphenation for the Finnish language?

Does Publisher 2 get functional hyphenation for the Finnish language? The liereuna doesn't look good when there are long words in the Finnish language.
How do I make it work? The options are automatic? No byte with those settings.

https://potkukelkka.com/suomenkielen-tavutus-affinity-publisheriin-mac-koneille/ 😁

Also works on Windows:

1) Settings
2) -->Tools
3) Additional dictionary folder:
4) Browse...
5) drag and drop the fi-FI folder into the folder that opens
6) restart Publisher

Then, when you want to use Finnish hyphenation in, for example, a paragraph, select Hyphenation under Use auto-hyphenation.
And in the Character panel Hyphenation language: Suomi (suomi)

Try look this:

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

42 minutes ago, KMA said:

The liereuna doesn't look good when there are long words in the Finnish language.

Both DeepL Translate and Microsoft Bing Translator fail to offer a translation for ‘liereuna’. Google Translate tells me that it means ‘spiral edge’, which doesn’t seem to fit the context.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 tuntia sitten Alfred sanoi:

Sekä DeepL Translate että Microsoft Bing Translator eivät pysty tarjoamaan käännöstä sanalle "liereuna". Google-kääntäjä kertoo minulle, että se tarkoittaa "spiraalireunaa", mikä ei näytä sopivan kontekstiin.

Näyttökuva 2024-4-28 kello 14.27.01

7 hours ago, Alfred said:

Both DeepL Translate and Microsoft Bing Translator fail to offer a translation for ‘liereuna’. Google Translate tells me that it means ‘spiral edge’, which doesn’t seem to fit the context.

The OP probably shortened the Finnish word liehu (or made a typo), understandable for those fluent in Finnish, referring to ragged text (rag right = left aligned; rag left = right aligned). None of the referred translators, whether AI based or not, could guess the typographic context, even when giving "centered" and "justified" as further clues, and they were equally lost both ways (Google had 1 of 8 correct):

translations.thumb.png.cf996c25ec9f5261c4c88a5247742276.png

• 2 weeks later...
28.4.2024 klo 9.58 Robocat sanoi:

https://potkukelkka.com/suomenkielen-tavutus-affinity-publisheriin-mac-koneille/  😁

Toimii myös Windowsissa:

1) Asetukset
2) --> Työkalut
3) Sanakirjan lisäkansio:
4) Selaa...
5) vedä ja pudota fi-FI-kansio avautuvaan kansioon
6) Käynnistä Publisher uudelleen

Kun sitten haluat käyttää suomenkielistä tavutusta esimerkiksi kappaleessa, valitse Käytä automaattista tavutus -kohdassa Tavutus.
And in the Character panel Hyphenation language: Suomi (suomi)

Mistä saisin kokeiluun sv_fi.dic?

I am passing information that I have just learned in a pretty long discussion, also involving sv_fi:

1) You can download the three files involved here (scroll to part that lists direct links): 

2) As you seem to be on mac, note that you need to place only the hyphenation file in the sv_FI folder, and the other two under the Spelling root folder. The installation path for Hunspell dictionaries under macOS is your home library:  ./Users/<my account>/Library/Spelling/.

The referred discussion with lots of useful information on spelling, can be found here:

2 minutes ago, lacerto said:

I am passing information that I have just learned in a pretty long discussion, also involving sv_fi:

1) You can download the three files involved here (scroll to part that lists direct links): 

2) As you seem to be on mac, note that you need to place only the hyphenation file in the sv_FI folder, and the other too under the Spelling root folder. The installation path for Hunspell dictionaries under macOS is your home library:  ./Users/<my account>/Library/Spelling/.

The referred discussion with lots of useful information on spelling, can be found here:

Oh, right, that's where you can find the files  😁

image.png.5d6e0d12860512988f2d5887b7d58d00.png

Disable pf: -> Edit profile -> Spelling -> Disable