You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tablet in "High Precision" works better in older versions

For some reason "Tablet Input Method: High Precision" works better in older Affinity versions for me. I recorded a video showing how Flow works worse in new version. All my brushes are set in old "Tablet Input Method" and it will take a lot of work changing it again, also I really prefer the old "High Precision".

So I'd like to suggest you the old High Precision as another option for next update.

I would try disabling "Enable Open CL acceleration", as I can see it is checked, in the video... It (any brush) goes perfect for me (in Photo), there must be something different (and I definitely have that disabled; when I activate it, the brushes start lagging. Don't worry, it still will use your GPU).  The other thing different is that you have BOTH flow and accumulation varying by pressure (is there a reason for that?) I usually have only one value varied by pressure: flow, as is what gives the painterly build-up. For my brushes more dedicated to digital painting, I indeed set only flow as varying by pressure (as I change size constantly with wacom's ring). But for others, I set flow and size (a little bit only, in the case of size). Maybe that could be affecting too. But IMO the major red flag is the open CL thing activated. I would even restart Photo (exit and start it again, I mean) after you change that, to be sure.

Here brushes go blazing fast. Maybe is the PC, the hardware, memory, GPU or CPU. Mine is a Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB RAM, and a nvidia 3060 12 GB VRAM. I even save the files in an old HDD, and photo is on it, too (my Windows runs on a fast m.2 SDD, though).

What size is that canvas ? (in a very huge canvas that could happen, and many other operations).
Have you checked the Windows Task Manager (ctrl + shift + ESC ) to see that no other app or tsr, process, is somehow consuming many resources? (sometimes happens).
But my strongest suspicion is the Open CL not being disabled. As I had that problem with even different configs and different PCs.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

On 4/25/2024 at 2:27 AM, SrPx said:

I would try disabling "Enable Open CL acceleration", as I can see it is checked, in the video... It (any brush) goes perfect for me (in Photo), there must be something different (and I definitely have that disabled; when I activate it, the brushes start lagging. Don't worry, it still will use your GPU).  The other thing different is that you have BOTH flow and accumulation varying by pressure (is there a reason for that?) I usually have only one value varied by pressure: flow, as is what gives the painterly build-up. For my brushes more dedicated to digital painting, I indeed set only flow as varying by pressure (as I change size constantly with wacom's ring). But for others, I set flow and size (a little bit only, in the case of size). Maybe that could be affecting too. But IMO the major red flag is the open CL thing activated. I would even restart Photo (exit and start it again, I mean) after you change that, to be sure.

Here brushes go blazing fast. Maybe is the PC, the hardware, memory, GPU or CPU. Mine is a Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB RAM, and a nvidia 3060 12 GB VRAM. I even save the files in an old HDD, and photo is on it, too (my Windows runs on a fast m.2 SDD, though).

What size is that canvas ? (in a very huge canvas that could happen, and many other operations).
Have you checked the Windows Task Manager (ctrl + shift + ESC ) to see that no other app or tsr, process, is somehow consuming many resources? (sometimes happens).
But my strongest suspicion is the Open CL not being disabled. As I had that problem with even different configs and different PCs.

Hello SrPx

Your tips are always welcomed. The Open GL works good here, but it seems you found out the problem: turn off the accumulation pressure works better. I still need to do more experiments but it seems better for now. Thank you.

Still... Trust me on this.. there have been so many reports about this... I have two machines, and the openCL ON makes things worse in two very different computers and systems (a Ryzen 3900X desktop and an intel 12th (12700H) gen laptop, Windows 10 and Windows 11). In my tests with both, not only I don't lose performance by deactivating that (but leaving my GPU configured in Affinity! , of course, never the software renderer); indeed it performs better without it, and the lag disappears once deactivating..  in both computers. Too much of a coincidence (again.. there have been many reports). But if you have it all good, okay. Just remember you have it on in case you notice some lag or some other issue, to immediately deactivate it, restart, and see how it goes.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

I think you still make the GPU work (nvidia GPUs, I am not sure about what happens with AMD GPUs, there were some long threads about it: issues with AMD drivers, I think) , as long as you set your GPU in "Renderer" (settings->performance), and not WARP (which would be actually rendering by software, only). Solely deactivating Open CL, as far as I know, only just does not make use of the Open CL optimizations, but in my experience, at least in brush operations (painting, mostly) not only does not affect, it invariably works much better with OpenCL off. My r9 CPU has 12c/24 threads, I guess that's good for Affinity, but I am pretty sure it works noticeably better since I swapped the old GTX 1650 GPU with a RTX 3060.