You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Morph two circles together to create a curve between them

Hello!

Any advice or resources on how to work with countour/offset (I believe) to create this effect (the blue clover) where the join between each circle and 'stem' is a nice curved join?

I've found a YT video on how to Morph shapes on *ahem* alternate software. So, i followed some of the methods in the Pink circle example, eg:

1. Selected both circles.

2. Layer > create compound. (Both needed to be selected for this option to appear).

3. Choose the Countour tool (letter O shortcut). Played around here, including choosing baked appearance. Nothing worked, then I chose some different tools, came back to contour, and somehow the small circle 'morphed' with the larger circle to create the desired effect, but I couldn't move it along the circle or resize; the two were now locked.

After that I couldn't replicate it - so putting it to the brains trust.

Thanks in advance. Happy to give more info if needed.

Screenshot 2024-01-07 170152.png

morph-join-pink.png

• Create the circles.
  • Add rectangles to connect them.
  • Merge all (boolean add). Now, you have the general shape, but with sharp corners.
  • Last step: Use the Corner Tool to turn the sharp corners into round ones.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

An alternative to the above method, in some circumstances, especially if you aren’t particularly bothered about the exact size of the circles (and/or some other geometry), might be to use the Star Tool.

See attached video for an example of use.

To get something like the ‘club’ in the original image you might have to use a combination of the two methods.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

To get something like the ‘club’ in the original image you might have to use a combination of the two methods.

I think that to create the original "club" symbol, the method through the star is useless - it creates exactly symmetrical tips, so there is no place for the stem of the leaf. Otherwise Star Tool makes nice "bubbles" 🙂

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Yeah, it was more like “here’s something that might be of interest” rather than “here’s something that will do exactly what you need”.

Another interesting possibility could be to:

1. create two (or more) overlapping circles;
  2. use the Shape Builder Tool to make them into one shape;
  3. use the Contour Tool.

See attached video.