You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need advice on creating textures for use in AFPub

Im currently creating a photobook. For the backcover I use a picture of an old map, for the gutter and the frontcover I would like to create a texture looking like the marked part of the backcover (see below). I tried various stock paper textures, some look not to bad, but the problem is to adjust the color of those stock textures to the backcover.

is there a way to create a texture from part of the picture? Should be big enough to cover an A4 page (resolution ~ 7000x5000 px).

2024-04-1920_10.26000.thumb.png.376316a0f275bfac4669610155ca4c55.png

Regards,
Otto

Affinity Suite v2.4 - Windows 11 Pro

You can copy a rectangular piece of the image with the Rectangle Marquee Tool and then use that with the Gradient Tool to get a repeating texture but the result will probably less than optimal.

One basic thing you could try is to copy part of the original image, then paste it into a new A4-sized image, then duplicate the copy (rotating randomly).
Once the page has been filled with the duplicates, use Merge Visible and then use the Inpainting Tool to ‘remove’ some parts of the image you don’t like.

My screenshots show the selection I took from the original image and the results after (quickly) duplicating and Inpainting.

You might need to experiment for a while to get something good.

I'm sure someone else will have a better idea.

image.thumb.png.773df230c3863f76484bd852e1bfb72f.png

image.thumb.png.e43571f857ae3690740d68ce4fe5ff29.png

19 hours ago, mopperle said:

(…) in AFPub

(…) create a texture from part of the picture?

I quick+dirty way in APub would be using a vector mask + layer fx to blur its edges -> then duplicate this masked tile with overlapping in the blurred areas. Of cause it works better if the selected detail has no gradient or 'obvious' large item (as the vignette + the diagonal in your marked example).

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-20um15_19_32.thumb.jpg.dabb34fe42b6a0f30c836c7e6150b719.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks @GarryP@thomaso

I had similar ideas, but the result was not as good as I expected, probably due to my missing skills ;)

Meanwhile I found a paper texture, which fits very well regarding color/saturation/brightness. The problematic area is the transition between the picture on the backcover and the paper textrure on the left edge of the gutter. I'm currently trying out various types of brushes with various settings painting over the edge and the first results are quite promising:

2024-04-2017_00.11000.thumb.png.782419b506b887b13e98a628cc6211be.png

Regards,
Otto

Affinity Suite v2.4 - Windows 11 Pro