You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Separate foreground from sky and add adjustmentlayers to sky only

Hi,

I am processing a complicated scene where there is lot of light in the foreground and to some extent in background (sky). It is long exposure sinlgle shot night sky photo. I want to separate foreground (mostly tress) from the scene and add adjustment layers only to sky (or background). How do we do this in affinity photo 2 ? Bascically I want to apply a mask which do not alter foreground (trees) and only affects the sky. 

It totally depends on the actual image.

Bunch of possible methods:

• Use luminosity range mask (or blend range)
  • Use selection by color
  • Use selection brushes
  • pre-process copy of image with tone map persona, sharpening HSL, or other filters to enhance contrast
  • use channels panel to find color channel with best contrast
  • For nightskies always take multiple exposures with tripod. The background will stay mostly unchanged, the sky will change between images. Can be used with stacks to create masks
  • Try converting to LAB/16 (for masking only)

If you can upload the file we can check what works best. We need best possible quality, RAW or TIFF/16

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

8 minutes ago, IvashistaI said:

I am a begginer I will try these as well. But, here is the image you asked. let me know what you think.  

This photo is an excellent candidate for the Hue Range Mask.

ScreenShot2024-04-19at9_43_32AM.png.3e6b8f88ea1f95800e2d9969109be8d3.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

There are many tutorials about selecting/replacing/adjusting skies and other backgrounds. For links to some tutorials, see my posts at

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/143743-remove-background/&do=findComment&comment=798313

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/143743-remove-background/&do=findComment&comment=798819

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060