You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PUBLISHER refuses to 'save' when there are both cmyk .eps and .psd files in a brand new document with rgb .jpg and .afphoto photos.

OS 14.4.1
Publisher: 2.4.2371

This is since the latest update because the book  redo (.idml is full of rubbish and there are too many linked images) never had this bug the first 230 pages which were BEFORE the latest update.
(Don't dare to open those files until this is solved, rather delay the release than destroying a year's work because a sudden bug which wasn't there before the update)

The images are all linked and in the same folder as the layouts. I start a new document every 20 or so pages that's a file size of 20mb or so.
It can replicate this bug, well, I found out why it does this and how to solve it.

This must be fixed, the book has over 1000 photos (several documents make the book).
I redo all the cmyk files now, then the document acts normal again, although I don't trust it.

I can open the document without a problem after this crash and it saves normally too! It makes normal pdfs too.
It gives this warning after 'save'. Twice, first on the file, then on the black background.

If there are NO cmyk .eps or .psd files linked, there is no bug (I think...) at least I had no warning when I did 'save' which is baked into my left hand after 30+ years.

That means I must change all the old files to rgb and afphoto SINCE THE LAST UPDATE.
That's a lot of extra work...

AfP version.png

2nd warning after closing file.png

warning to close file.png

Edited by Sigs

Hi @Sigs and welcome to the forums,

I'm not seeing any issues with a Publisher document containing this mix of CMYK and RGB Linked files...

I'm assuming the EPS and PSD files were created in Illustrator and Photoshop respectively then added to an InDesign document which you're now opening and editing in Publisher is that correct?

Can you upload either a source IDML file or a Publisher file along with the Linked assets so we can take a look at what might be causing the problem? It doesn't need to be the complete book, just sufficient pages to cause the 'Failed to load document' message would be fine...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

Hello @Hangman,

Thank you for your fast reply!

I make every time a brand new clean Publisher document for the new book (that give the Failed message).

I copy the old photos from a Publisher document that I made from the PDF before the .idml* crashed.
The photos are in the Images folder of the InDesign package of the idml and also the Publisher files therefore.

*) I cannot work in .idml files because the file crashes while linking the missing images. I made a pdf after I could link images that did not cause a crash.
Done 2/3 of the .idml and then made the PDF > now Publisher. The unlinked images are a problem for later to be solved.

Now I found out more.
It has nothing to do with .eps or .psd it is cmyk only. Because Publisher continues give the warning even when the photo is .afphoto BUT cmyk.
SO I checked the colour space of all the photos and made them all rgb.
Then I Quit Publisher, when I opened it again, the document was okay again.

See if I can create a new file (doesn't need to be .idml, it gives the Failed message anyway) and link such a cmyk file.
BRB Thank you!

Hi @Sigs,

Are you able to upload a sample CMYK .afphoto file causing the error message as there is no obvious reason why this should be happening, I'm certainly not seeing any issues here but there may be something specific about the CMYK .afphoto files you have...

There should be no need to convert the files to RGB...

Could you also let us know which CMYK profile the CMYK .afphoto files use?

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

Hi @Hangman,

Trying to create a new file that does the Failed thing, takes a lot of time because I need to find the causing photos (there are hundreds) and I can't remember which photos caused it.

So, I continue to work and when I get the message again (I'm not going to change the photos to rgb) I send the file (large lol) but with the culprit photo.
Then I know also the cmyk profile and all other stuff.

Hi @Sigs,

That sounds like a sensible plan, I'll keep my eye on this thread and take a look once you've been able to identify one of the culprit photos...

Posted (edited)

Hello @Hangman,

That went well for many hours, changing all prehistoric images to rgb afphoto, until...... Failed message.
1. It has nothing to do with the sort of file that's imported (only rgb afphoto) it is how to write the file away problem????
2. I closed the window as the message appeared, everything was saved.
3. I quit Publisher (for 'cleaning up' memory)  and started it again by clicking on the ( Failedmessage) file.
4. I moved some text around to have something to 'save'.
5. There is happened. The whole Publisher screen dimmed a bit while the file was written away in semi-slowmotion>>>> a lot SMALLER > it went from 65 mb to 55.7 mb.

Now I remember trouble in Pagemaker and InDesign eons ago, and there you had to 'save as' on a regular basis to 'shrink' the file size.
That doesn't work in Publisher that way, I've tried it, habits are hard to change. When you 'save as' the Publisher file is exactly the same size as it was before.

Maybe this 'eye witness testimony' helps? It has nothing to do with the images, as you said.
Again, this never happened before the last update.

* Screenphoto with interesting thing: photo is placed, while Failed message, not visible in Resourcemanager, yet it is there upon opening again.

P.S. Because no troubles for many hours I dared to open a part of the book I've done before the update to add 4 pages.
All went well with the 153mb file.

Solution, as previously although I'm totally oblivious: every 2 hrs intensive (<really I would go mad if I was my imac) work QUIT Publisher, then open it again.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16.32.43.png

Edited by Sigs

Hi @Sigs,

4 minutes ago, Sigs said:

Screenphoto with interesting thing: photo is placed, while Failed message, not visible in Resourcemanager, yet it is there upon opening again.

That particular image doesn't show a page number because the same image appears more than once in the document and subsequently all instances of the same image are grouped...

If you click the disclosure triangle to the left of the image you should see all instances of the image and which page they're located on...

I'd be more than happy to take a look at your file to see what may be causing the Failed message if it helps... If you'd like us to take a look can you use 'Save as Package...' zip up all the folders along with the Publisher file and then upload the Zip file or provide a link where it can be downloaded? Having said that it sounds as though things are going a little better now and you can work without too many issues apart from the error message.

Where are all your linked images stored, are they on your internal Hard Drive or an External or Cloud Drive?

Hello @Hangman,

• First clear one thing up.
That particular image in the screenphoto is the first time it is used in the document. The colours were totally off and I had to change them.
Here is the difference why I cannot use all prehistoric (2007) CS4 photoshop files.

• If you look closely, all the file names are different Ha vs He (cock, hen), apart from a few .psd files which are there trying to trigger the Failed-message.

• I made a zip package, it is  < 278.3MB on disk for 124 items > see how I can transfer that to somewhere, I normally use wetransfer but I've no email to send it to.
Must look this up never did this: parking a folder for download for someone, uploading takes a long time, I am on copperwire here.

• All files are in one folder on my desktop so internal HD.
External HDs are for backups only.

• yes, much less problems making rgb .afphoto and quitting Publisher every time I make coffee 😂

Now I go look for how to park the .zip.

THANKS SO FAR!!!1!

The file not mentioned in Resource manager.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 17.54.44.png

Hi @Sigs,

9 minutes ago, Sigs said:

First clear one thing up.
That particular image in the screenphoto is the first time it is used in the document. The colours were totally off and I had to change them.
Here is the difference why I cannot use all prehistoric (2007) CS4 photoshop files.

What happens when you click the disclosure triangle to the left of that particular image in Resource Manager? You would normally expect this when there are single and multiple instances of the same image as shown in Resource Manager...

13 minutes ago, Sigs said:

• I made a zip package, it is  < 278.3MB on disk for 124 items > see how I can transfer that to somewhere, I normally use wetransfer but I've no email to send it to.
Must look this up never did this: parking a folder for download for someone, uploading takes a long time, I am on copperwire here.

I've DM'd you my email address so feel free to send via WeTransfer...

13 minutes ago, Sigs said:

• All files are in one folder on my desktop so internal HD.
External HDs are for backups only.

Perfect and thanks for confirming...

14 minutes ago, Sigs said:

• yes, much less problems making rgb .afphoto and quitting Publisher every time I make coffee 😂

There really should be no issues using CMYK .afphoto files either, that is very common and 'shouldn't' be causing issues...

@Hangman Hello,

I can't get the .zip anywhere because I have to post the link to it here in public, which I don't want to.
Maybe you can make a 1x email address where I send it to with wetransfer?

WIll see later now first a pause.

@Sigs,

See my previous post... I've DM'd you an email address so you can WeTransfer your files...

Hi @Sigs,

The file 'RoodWitgezHA.afphoto' appears twice in the document, on Pages 5 and 19... If you click the disclosure triangle to the left of that particular image in Resource Manager, select the listing and then click 'Locate in Document' for the respective image you'll see both instances on the respective pages...

ResourceManager.thumb.png.00a11a466b04062f9eebc4e65fd84b62.png

They appear in a slightly odd way, i.e., as a placed file in a picture frame nested inside another picture frame which may be a cause for confusion...

Page5.png.988fb0281da4b39609697f62d0e42105.png

I'm going to take a more detailed look at your document so hopefully, I'll be able to provide some more detailed feedback tomorrow...

Hi @Hangman,

Thank you very much digging into this.

The photos are copied from the German edition 2020 an InDesign on old imac and G5, the images of that one are in the same folder (package made of the InDesign file).
The German edition is an idml, with incomplete images which I look up based on filename. I've thrown all images together in one big folder (called ...all shit).

I copy the German text to TextEdit and translate it back to English.
Then I copy the English text from TextEdit into the Publisher document.
TextEdit is the most neutral texteditor and I stick to Arial. No fancy fonts, this is data only.

(The german idml has the font Syntax and other fancy typefaces, which I didn't want to buy for the 2nd English edition on the new imac).
Only the ancient images are recycled.

Copy/past from the German idm causes the double photos.
That gives an error? Or the dimming screen after saving and then being 10 mb smaller?

I did not see the .psd in the package of the Ha pic above, a double photo both .afphoto and .psd, I do see both .psd and .afphoto of the Hen RoodwitgezHe.

Screenprint is only the photos copied from the german idml plus triangles opened.

Much less troubles when I redo the photos indeed.

Tomorrow morning I continue.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 21.20.23.png

Hi @Sigs,

I've sent a 1st draft updated Publisher file back to you via WeTransfer...

There were a lot of picture frames nested within picture frames in your file and several images not contained in picture frames, this ideally still needs tidying up for consistency as it's still a bit of a mish-mash in the updated file I've sent you...

I've applied a macro to the .afphoto, psd and jpeg files to convert them all back to CMYK U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 files as per the prehistoric CS4 photoshop files and I've converted the Publisher file to a CMYK document using the same ICC profile.

I've removed the double-nested picture frames throughout the document.

On pages 40 and 41 (18, 19) I've removed the adjustment layers on the .afphoto files for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th images because when converted to CMYK, they appear washed out with the adjustments once converted to CMYK.

Download the zip file to a new folder, unzip it and take a look at the file I've sent with the amended CMYK images to see if you have any issues with it and whether you still see the same 'Failed to Load' error message when working with the file...

Please also double check all the images are correctly placed as I've had to replace every image in the file...

Let me know how you get on with the updated file...

Hi @Hangman,

Thank you for doing all this work!
I've just downloaded the zip and opened it. Tomorrow I check for the correct images/text.

I'll also have to work out how to proceed in regards to the 2020 edition re-translation, because there are lots of pages to do.
I prefer to split a book up in smaller parts in case of errors.
First need to load the batteries. Thank you again!

Hi @Sigs,

That's no problem at all...

There are several images not sitting in a picture frame which isn't a problem, some but not all don't have the thin black border so you may want to drop them in picture frames for consistency and to add the border. but it's not essential when they already include the border...

The duplicate image that appears on pages 5 and 19 is RoodWitgezHa.afphoto.

• On page 5 it is under the heading 'Chamois - (Gold dominant white laced)
  • On page 19 it is under the heading 'Gold white laced, Chamois'

If you're not already you use Publisher's Book feature which would allow you to split the book up into Chapters...

The version I've sent you is, as mentioned CMYK using the U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 profile but if you're moving forward with everything in RGB you can open the .afpackage file, change its profile back to sRGB, move it to a folder alongside your RGB images and relink the RGB versions.

Let us know how you get on and whether you encounter any issues. I didn't see any error messages when working with your file so hopefully, all is good.

Good morning @Hangman,

Yes some photos are used twice because the English can't choose what name they want to give a colour of a chicken.
To accommodate their indecision, I gave both options.

The printer & me, already did a 12 pages printing test, which I needed because I've never sent them pdfs from Affinity Publisher and the standard .pdf from Publisher give perfect printing results. Zero issues.

Consistency is not my thing, throughout the book (some 260 pages) cmyk and rgb (new photos in rgb) and .eps .jpg .afphoto are mixed and I never looked what colour space is used for the Publisher documents because only the pdf matters.  RIGHT > just checked, all Publisher documents of the book are cmyk US swob-something, haha.
I do remember I 'discovered' the colour space when making a new Publisher document and put it to rgb, hoping for a smaller file size.

I don't use the book feature, because InDesign-trauma 😅

Now continue the images/texts in your fixed document, thank you!

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 09.21.03.png

Hello @Hangman,

To let you know that everything goes smoothly and also the new document (created when the first one became 100mb) goes very easily and without any problems according to your method.
Thanks again for the quick help and rescuing my motivation and thus carrying on with this book 😃

Hi @Sigs,

That's really great to hear, I'm glad things are now running smoothly for you and glad I was able to help, if only just a little...

Many thanks for the update, that is very much appreciated... :)

On 4/19/2024 at 8:31 AM, Sigs said:

cmyk US swob-something, haha

SWOP = Specification for Web Offset Publications

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)