You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sunburst or sun rays possible in Affinity Photo?

Hello and thanks to anybody who can help!

I saw a post about creating a sunburst in Affinity but I guess that was not created in Affinity Photo because I don't seem to have a "stroke" option...?

Is there a way to create such a sunburst in the Photo version? I've seen one for Photoshop using a wave filter on a gradient.

Thanks again & I hope to hear soon ;o)

Eva

Hi Eva,

and welcome here …  :)

Though there is no dedicated stroke panel in Affinity Photo, the stroke options are available on the context toolbar of Affinity Photo, as soon as you select an object where stroke settings are applicable.

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

post-1198-0-93144300-1462729992_thumb.png

Hi Eva,

After viewing the following video from phlearn, I was wondering if it could be replicated in AP and yes it can.

Link to video: https://phlearn.com/how-to-add-sunrays-in-photoshop

The zoom tool is on its own in AP and if you go to the help section you will find out how to locate the center of the tool. Basically when you activate to the zoom filter, an arrow appears and you click on the area that you want the center. I set the zoom at 1000 to start (type it in). The brush is easy to replicate by following his instructions.

There is a glitch in the Gaussian filter however, (see my post in Questions "Round brush leaving square shadows", p_mac). As you see, it it has been noted.

If you use the Gaussian effect there is no problem with the brush on the mask. This technique makes the rays look really real and cool.

Thank you all once again!

Those tutorials are great and I will bookmark them for future reference. However, I was looking for a more "retro" sunburst, as it is sometimes referred to on the web. 

In the Photoshop tutorial a two tone gradient is set, then a distort/wave filter is applied. This results in thick stripes of alternating colour - the two colours chosen for the gradient. Then a further distort filter is applied to bundle those lines, so that they look like they are bursting forth from the middle of the image. I have tried this with the distort/ripple filter in Affinity but the lines are really thin and I can't see where I could widen those lines to make them wide enough for a sunburst to appear when I apply the second distort filter. Is there an alternative to the Photoshop wave filter?

I hope I have explained myself well enough...

Thanks so much for your help. 

Good night and all the best,

Eva

Hi Eva and JimmyJack,

for a retro sunburst effect, I would indeed recommend that you use the Cog Tool and maybe a Blur Filter (if desired). The dynamic shapes are pretty versatile. I believe you will immediately see how to create the effect, as soon as you open the attached Affinity Photo file below. Here is some more context to the idea:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/9961-how-to-draw-sunburst-or-sun-rays/

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

post-1198-0-10770400-1462742650_thumb.png

Vintage_Sunburst.afphoto

Yes!!! Got it  :D ! Thank you so much  :D :D  :D !

p_mac, you showed me a brilliant option and I'm sure a combination of both could be just what I was looking for. Once I have finished fooling around with my sun rays, I will turn my attention to the task of uploading some examples to this topic  ;)

I am really grateful to you!

Eva