You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Toggle UI (tab button) not working Sonoma

Publisher 2.4.1

Sonoma 14.4.1

On the current document pressing the TAB button with no objects selected doesn't Toggle UI. Does nothing.

Opening a new document works fine, opening other documents works fine.

Tab key works fine in text frames etc.

Selecting View > Toggle UI from the menu works fine.

It's working fine for me. Could you please check your assigned shortcut for Toggle UI? Go to Settings, click Shortcuts, select View from the list below "Publisher", and scroll to the bottom where you'll find Toggle UI. Is there a Tab character (that right arrow symbol) in your dialog? If there is, is there also a Yield sign next to it?

Screenshot2024-04-04at9_35_31AM.thumb.png.28bb79709fc06757939d39af833e87e2.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Serif, it would be really nice if these two lists in Shortcuts had labels. When the dialog first opens, they're set to Publisher and Affinity Publisher 2 which doesn't provide much of a cue what they do. It would be nice if they were labeled Persona and UI Element, the names Help uses for them.

Even better, I think UI Element should be changed to something like Interface Element or even just Type since UI is geeky.

Thank you

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

• Staff

Hi @Super Alpine,

I'm running the same version of Publisher and Sonoma and this has always worked as expected for me. Have you got Full keyboard access turned on under MacOS Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard? If so, I'd suggest turning this off and trying again.

If that doesn't work, what happens if you re-bind Toggle UI it to a different key and then try again?

Hi @NathanC

I don't have full keyboard access turned on so it's not that.

If I set the shortcut to another key it works fine. Once I put it back to TAB it stops working again.

As I said originally it is literally this document only. Other docs and new docs are fine. 

If it's just this one document, close the document and re-open it. What state is it in? Is there a selected object? What kind is it?

If you click on an empty area of the page, does Tab work then?

If you type into a text frame, switch to the Move tool, and click on a blank area of the page, does Tab work then?

46 minutes ago, Super Alpine said:

I already tried all this. The tab key only functions in a text frame.

I was interested in what state the document was in when it's opened. If it's only with a specific document, there has to be something different about it. Knowing what state the document is in could narrow down the test cases.

Hi @NathanC,

I'm unsure whether this is the same issue but I can replicate the failed toggle shortcut behaviour using the following steps:

Steps to Reproduce

1. Launch Publisher
  2. If the Tab Key is already set as the Toggle UI keyboard shortcut remove it
  3. With no keyboard shortcut set for Toggle UI create a new document or open an existing document.
  4. Hit the Tab Key (once is sufficient to trigger this) - Note: this is the key step
  5. Open the Settings panel and set the Tab Key as the Toggle UI keyboard shortcut
  6. Close the Settings panel
  7. Hit the Tab key to toggle the UI and nothing happens
  8. Create a new file or open another document
  9. Hit the Tab key to toggle the UI and nothing happens
  10. Manually select the first document tab, hit the Tab key to toggle the UI and nothing happens
  11. Manually select the second document tab, hit the Tab key to toggle the UI and nothing happens
  12. Ctrl-Tab to switch between documents
  13. The Tab Key now works and hides/shows the UI

Note
If both documents are closed without closing Publisher and Steps 2 to 10 above are repeated using Ctrl-Tab to switch between documents can sometimes result in the Tab key no longer working for either document.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi @NathanC,

Many thanks for testing and logging... :)

I note that @Super Alpine is on Sonoma so does this suggest the bug they're experiencing is different?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse