You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

align objects within closed vector

Hi, thank you, I've watched some of his videos. Unfortunately I can't find information on spacing say 5 objects that are within a rectangle evenly between themselves, and also spaced evenly between the sides of the rectangle. Right now I'm creating a line on 2 sides of the rectangle and using those lines combined with the 5 objects to space them evenly. I'm sure there has to be a better way.

The spacing must be the same between the shapes and the sides of the rectangle?
Or does it need to be same space between shapes and a different space amount for the distance to the sides?

14 minutes ago, Rarast said:

Right now I'm creating a line on 2 sides of the rectangle and using those lines combined with the 5 objects to space them evenly. I'm sure there has to be a better way.

I would space the five objects evenly, group the result and then centre-align the group and the rectangle.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi guys, the spacing has to be the same between the sides of the rectangles and equal to the spacing between the 5 objects. Hey Alfred, I did that but it doesn't create an equal space between the rectangle and the first object and between the last object and the rectangle. It essentially divides the space left over by 2, which is not necessarily an equal space to that between the 5 objects. Hope that makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Rarast said:

Hi guys, the spacing has to be the same between the sides of the rectangles and equal to the spacing between the 5 objects.

Thanks for clarifying that, @Rarast. :)

5 minutes ago, Rarast said:

Hey Alfred, I did that but it doesn't create an equal space between the rectangle and the first object and between the last object and the rectangle. It essentially divides the space left over by 2, which is not necessarily an equal space to that between the 5 objects. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, that makes perfect sense! I’m not sure what would qualify as ‘equal space’ with triangles inside the rectangle (as in the video that @Return linked to) but presumably your particular case isn’t quite like that.

Alfred spacer.png

If you have (say) five small rectangles enclosed by one large rectangle, you could start by spacing all six objects evenly with the large rectangle on the left. Then flip the large rectangle so that its right edge becomes its left edge and its left edge sits to the right of the rightmost small rectangle. You’d probably have to resize the large rectangle by moving its right-hand edge, unless you’ve carefully calculated the required size beforehand.

Alfred spacer.png

Hi again, thank you for your idea, I was getting close but just can't seem to make it work. For now this is what I'm doing: node edit the rectangle and break it apart into 4 sides, select all 7 (5 internal boxes and left and right side of rectangle, then select horizontal spacing which works because there are now just 7 objects to space equally, rejoin rectangle). 

In case anyone needs to do this, a little easier method is to lock the rectangle, add a node on each side of the rectangle, select the 5 objects and the 2 new nodes, then select horizontal spacing, then delete the 2 new nodes and unlock the rectangle. If the objects are contained within a more complex shape, try to place the 2 new nodes on the shape and in line with the center of the inner shapes. I just made a line through the centre of the inner objects, locked it, and placed the 2 new nodes where the line intersects with the irregular shape.

Just temporarily add two extra circles or squares then distribute evenly. e.g.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

7 minutes ago, Rarast said:

your solution is simpler, makes sense and didn't take 4 lines of text to explain

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Paul posted much more than a picture, he posted two video clips! :D

Alfred spacer.png