You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD V2 Bounding box of grouped line is way over sized

Wow, I just checked and it's been 9 1/2 years since I bought AD and I have probably spent more than 4 hours a day using it.  My wife would says it's more than 4.  But even so there are some times that I see AD do something and I just have to cock my head and ask why did it do that.  Then I spend an hour trying to figure it out.

Today's oddity is so simple that it should be easy, but for the life of me I just can't figure out what is causing this.  I have a line that I copied from a drawing that was a month old, so I don't remember exactly how it was created.  It was originally drawn in the beta, but the issue shows up in the released version.

Temp1.afdesign

In the my drawing I needed a line that went out from the center of two 64 point stars.  I found I already had one, so I copied it, adjusted one endpoint for the proper length and angle and grouped it with a small circle.  Surprisingly the bounding box was way oversized.  I copied the line then did a create new drawing from the clipboard and the new drawing was a correctly sized rectangle.  I did a cmd G to give the line a bounding box and it came out over 3 times the height that it should be (237 px instead of 71.5 px).

I used the transform rotation setting to make it a horizontal line.  The line has 0 width, but the group now has 304 px height.

Does anyone have any idea that would explain this?  I would be very happy to just know why it happened.

I could have just recreated the line in about 5 seconds, but I just can't stand to have an unsolved mystery.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

This looks to me like one of those weird things that the software does from time-to-time that we have no control over.

Without knowing how the line was created in the first place I don’t think there’s anything that we users can find out about what the problem is. If the problem comes about because of some strange internal representation issue then there’s probably not much we can do about it.

I’d say that it is easier to forget about it than to put more time into figuring out why/how it came about, unless it starts to be a problem that can’t be overcome.

(An interesting thing that the developers might need to look at though.)