You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Major Lag in 2.4 Designer update

Ok I'm new to posting in the Affinity Forums. Sorry if this is technically not the right section for my report.

Anyway, I'm noticing a lot of lag when using Designer since updating to version 2.4. Maybe its because of using Artboards to do separations for a shirt design. However, I also notice this when testing a new document and just making a simple shape. My system never lagged this bad when using Affinity. I don't know but this is super annoying as it lags for 5 seconds ever 3 minutes or so. I do have an Illustration that I did a vector trace on giving it a lot of anchors. However, I do traces on my drawing a lot and never experience this kind of lag. As a matter of fact, I was working on the same piece before the update and now in 2.4, the app wants to freeze 5 seconds every 3 to 5 minutes. I'm ready to smash my mouse I know that. Never ever had a problem until 2.4 and I'm running only 16gig ram. I've never been this frustrated with Affinity Designer in the last 4 years.

Open GL is turned off BTW and undo limits are set at around 100

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @martinart. :)

21 minutes ago, martinart said:

I'm running only 16gig ram

16 GB of RAM is quite a reasonable amount. What are your Windows version and processor specs?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @martinart. :)

16 GB of RAM is quite a reasonable amount. What are your Windows version and processor specs?

I'm running windows 10 with an I7 3.4 ghz. Like I said, I've never seen any lag like I'm seeing now since I updated to 2.4 about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I've been running the same system for over 5 yrs. working in the software daily. The new version 2.4 is very noticeably laggy all of a sudden even drawing out a simple shape in a new small size document.

• Staff

Hi MartinArt,

Please could you tell me if you are using the MSIX or MSIEXE version of the apps? Please could you also provide a screenshot of your entire performance preferences window so I can look into this further with you?

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

6 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi MartinArt,

Please could you tell me if you are using the MSIX or MSIEXE version of the apps? Please could you also provide a screenshot of your entire performance preferences window so I can look into this further with you?

I'm definitely not using the Microsoft store version as it doesn't even get locally installed on my system. I am using the EXE version which seems to be better than the MSIX download. I just went ahead and uninstalled everything and downgraded to version 2.3 and I don't notice any lag at all. I also did a defrag on my system which was only at 1% fragmented, checked system updates, and a couple of reboots. When Using OpenCL feature, I noticed a lot of lag even on older versions, Especially when drawing in Photo with on a Wacom Cintiq but in the case of my post here, I have it unchecked and undo limit is below 200. Again, now that I switched back to 2.3, everything is running smooth as butter. 2.4 is still just a hair buggy with very noticeable lag. Thanks 

Capture.PNG