You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting from Designer as a vector in other formats but in RGB

Hello, I am trying to export an Affinity Designer file into PDF and SVG while maintaining the color profile as RGB, but it is switching to CMYK when I do that and there is no box to maintain RGB. Will you please let me know how to export in the different file formats while maintaining the design and color? Thanks! You can see the original design in the AD file, and how it has changed the flower coloration when a PDF, as well as SVG, where it is completely messed up.

2. LOVE SAVES THE DAY for inflatable flat for printing color copy.afdesign 2. LOVE SAVES THE DAY for inflatable flat for printing color copy.pdf 2. LOVE SAVES THE DAY for inflatable flat for printing color copy.svg

23 minutes ago, Michael Tronn said:

Hello, I am trying to export an Affinity Designer file into PDF and SVG while maintaining the color profile as RGB, but it is switching to CMYK when I do that and there is no box to maintain RGB.

I opened your file and checked the Document setup dialog. That is a CMYK document.

ScreenShot2024-03-18at6_11_57PM.png.545124a0f6e86fcb3accb28d024b9f92.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If the issue is that colors get clearly more saturated in RGB mode compared to native CMYK (in which mode the design is created), the reason is that RGB based definitions and/or effects have been used while staying in CMYK mode which cannot display RGB gamut. If you want to have RGB output as close to CMYK as possible, always define all colors using CMYK color model, including effects. Note that use of effects and adjustments typically causes conversion of certain elements to raster objects (as in your design, indicated by the fact that conversion of image color spaces is necessary to have all elements converted to RGB).

Thank you @old bruce that's weird but I see you are right. I usually create in RGB I think, but even when I don't and I use the export settings and make it RGB, it doesn't usually change the colors. But this time it is. Do you know how to make it so the colors stay the same no matter what? I want it to look the way it does in the AD file. Thanks!

@lacerto Thanks. Honestly I do not understand much of what you wrote. I'm trying to maintain the color from the original AD file when I export it into other formats. Can you give me directions or a screenshot if you don't mind please.

In lack of Adobe Acrobat Pro or other tool that you can use to directly convert a CMYK output to sRGB, I would first export a PDF/X-4 file from Designer, which will produce an all CMYK file using the color gamut you are seeing on your canvas. Then I would open that file in Designer in RGB color mode and export to RGB color mode PDF and SVG. The colors should be pretty close to ones you have in the original CMYK mode document.

2. LOVE SAVES THE DAY for inflatable flat for printing color copy_pdfx4.pdf

2. LOVE SAVES THE DAY for inflatable flat for printing color copy_rgb.pdf

2. LOVE SAVES THE DAY for inflatable flat for printing color copy_rgb.svg