You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cursor disappears with Marquee Section Tool - Affinity Photo

I am trying to make a selection with any selection tool (except Selection Brush) and the cursor disappears over the Background Grey and image. This makes it impossible to make a section using these tools. This is the same on all images.

Using Photo 2.4.0

• Staff

Hi @Gerarbara,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I'm not seeing the same issue here currently - are you able to provide a quick screen recording showing this for me please?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Can you also please navigate to Edit > Settings > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have attached a video and screenshot of the performance settings. I have disabled hardware acceleration and the issue remains.

Incidentally, changing the Hardware acceleration setting prompts a restart, as you will know. It would be nice if the application could restart automatically. This is a VERY minor issue at it is not required often. Just a finishing touch! 🙂

Gerard Hopkinson

Screenshot 2024-03-18 201807.png

2 hours ago, Gerarbara said:

It would be nice if the application could restart automatically.

It should automatically restart. It does for me.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me and my apologies for the delayed response!

On 3/18/2024 at 8:26 PM, Gerarbara said:

I have disabled hardware acceleration and the issue remains.

Can you please also try updating your GPU drivers directly from Nvidias website (https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx), then restart your system after installing and let me know if this continues?

On 3/18/2024 at 8:26 PM, Gerarbara said:

Incidentally, changing the Hardware acceleration setting prompts a restart, as you will know. It would be nice if the application could restart automatically. This is a VERY minor issue at it is not required often. Just a finishing touch! 🙂

The app will currently prompt if you would like to restart after changing such settings - however there is a known issue whereby the app can actually crash silently during the restart, meaning the app closes but fails to automatically reopen, this is logged with our devs as a bug to be resolved ASAP :)

16 hours ago, grunnvms said:

I have the same problem with Windows 11.

1 hour ago, DicownedHawk said:

Me too, in this situation, the software is no longer in a usable state and can only be switched back to PS.

Sorry to hear this!

Just to confirm, @grunnvms & @DicownedHawk - are you referring to the Selection Tool cursor issue shown in the OPs recording, or the app failing to restart after changing Performance settings issue?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I have updated my Nvidia graphics driver and restarted the computer. The issue remains the same.

5 hours ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for providing that for me and my apologies for the delayed response!

Can you please also try updating your GPU drivers directly from Nvidias website (https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx), then restart your system after installing and let me know if this continues?

The app will currently prompt if you would like to restart after changing such settings - however there is a known issue whereby the app can actually crash silently during the restart, meaning the app closes but fails to automatically reopen, this is logged with our devs as a bug to be resolved ASAP :)

Sorry to hear this!

Just to confirm, @grunnvms & @DicownedHawk - are you referring to the Selection Tool cursor issue shown in the OPs recording, or the app failing to restart after changing Performance settings issue?

I have updated my Nvidia graphics driver and restarted my computer. The issue remains the same.

Gerarbara

9 hours ago, Dan C said:

Sorry to hear this!

Selection Tool cursor issue 

11 hours ago, Dan C said:

Sorry to hear this!

Good news, my Win11 has been updated again and the cursor issue has been resolved. It's a system issue.

I would like to ask a question by the way. When I paste an image in publisher's photo mode to create a new file, it automatically switches to publisher mode. How can I keep it in photo? I have to manually switch back to photo every time, which is very unfriendly.

It seems that the disappearing cursor has been fixed by a Windows 11 update, in which there was previously a bug and nothing to do with Affinity Photo.

I am now on Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 26085

[Input]

• With this build, the recent issues with the mouse cursor disappearing, and other recent issues related to the mouse cursor behaving abnormally should be fixed.

My cursor no longer disappears using these tools!

Gerard Hopkinson

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Apologies for the delay as I have been out of the office for a short time - I'm very glad to hear a subsequent Windows Update has resolved this issue for you both, thanks for letting me know!

On 3/21/2024 at 1:59 AM, Discover Hawk said:

When I paste an image in publisher's photo mode to create a new file, it automatically switches to publisher mode. How can I keep it in photo? I have to manually switch back to photo every time, which is very unfriendly.

Unfortunately this isn't possible at this time.
FAIK when opening any document type in Publisher, the app will always open this in the 'Publisher Persona', regardless of which Persona you are in currently - however I can certainly understand why this would be helpful to your workflow, so I'll be sure to raise this with our team for further considerations :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 1:19 PM, Gerarbara said:

It seems that the disappearing cursor has been fixed by a Windows 11 update, in which there was previously a bug and nothing to do with Affinity Photo.

I am now on Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 26085

[Input]

• With this build, the recent issues with the mouse cursor disappearing, and other recent issues related to the mouse cursor behaving abnormally should be fixed.

My cursor no longer disappears using these tools!

Gerard Hopkinson

Same with me, no more problems !