You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 2 V2.4.0.023 Beta - line weight problem

When using a drawing tool (rectangle etc.) the width tool slider increments seem to have changed whereby 0pt is minimum width - anything larger is huge - this has never been an issue previously. Using  Windows 11, version 22H2. Attached picture shows the very thick lined rectangle  set as only 0.2pt line width! The thinnest line is 0pt.

Designer Line drawing pfroblem.pdf

Hi @MWOO,

Could you upload your Affinity Designer document or even just a sample showing lines that demonstrate the issue you're seeing so we can take a closer look...

Affinity Designer 2.5.0 | Affinity Photo 2.5.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.5.0
Affinity Designer Beta 2.5.0.2486 | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0.2486 | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0.2486

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5, Magic Mouse

Attached are three screen prints, the first shows a rectangle (bottom left) set as 0pt - this too heavy for my needs, the second shows the same rectangle set as 0.3pt and, as you can see, it is very thick (previous versions of the software were typically set at 0.7 - 0.9pt for a thin line weight.

The third picture shows a similar problem I have now found whereby text font size is very large the 'B' is 0.9pt (which should be about the size of the other text on the picture).

The picture overall size is B5 format.

Screenshot 1.jpg

Screenshot 2.jpg

Screenshot 3.jpg

I don’t have a solution to this but I can see that the Fill well in the Swatches Panel looks wrong – it’s square rather than circular – so that makes me think that maybe the application itself has been ‘compromised’ in some way.

An application reset/re-install may be needed, unless anyone has better ideas.

Note: The 2.4 beta is now the commercial release you should probably have updated the application by now and stopped using the beta (unless you are using the beta for some specific reason).

Hi @MWOO,

1 hour ago, MWOO said:

The picture overall size is B5 format.

Your canvas is only 5 mm x 7 mm which I think is the issue here...

Affinity Designer Beta 2.5.0.2486 | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0.2486 | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0.2486

Thanks but how do I change the 'canvas size'? - I didn't consciously change this, I selected B5 as the document size. I have looked in 'settings' but cannot find anything.

1 minute ago, MWOO said:

Thanks but how do I change the 'canvas size'? - I didn't consciously change this, I selected B5 as the document size. I have looked in 'settings' but cannot find anything.

If you go to File > Document Setup you can change the document dimensions in the Dimensions tab...

1 minute ago, MWOO said:

Changing this setting has 'fixed' the problems - thanks but why would the canvas size be wrong?

Without seeing how you set the document up in the first place it's difficult to know... but if you create a new document and select B5 from the list, does it correctly set the document size to 176 mm x 250 mm?