You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Update to States not working, does recognise newly added artwork

Using this for the first time this may be user error or misunderstanding, however I created and then broke down an illustration with a number of Groups and layers named for finding under Queries. These worked great. I then used these switched options to create captured states. 

I then needed to add another switchable option, created new content as both a Layer and a Group. Both will switch through Queries panel, but the new artwork will only turn on in my new "final" state  (OUTPUTS) and unlike other captured states will not switch off when selected.

So I assumed – Select the state you already have but want to remove new content from, switch off new query, update state.

However if I click the final state, new layer switches on, but none of the updated states will switch it off.

If I manually switch the query off it will then not appear again until I select my final state. 

I notice that the number of layers has not increased in the original states to match the number in the final added artwork - is this the issue? Shouldn't an update to a state capture all the content of the document?

To get to the desired result again I had to recapture all 10 states – not great. But all states then contain same number of layers.

–––––––––––––––––––––

Screenshot2024-03-15at14_04_41.thumb.png.be33bf63abe22799c034ac0cfe79ee78.png

AND…

Is there a reason why you can't rename a query or captured state? 

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases

• Staff

Hi @Like, would like more if…,

21 minutes ago, Like, would like more if… said:

I notice that the number of layers has not increased in the original states to match the number in the final added artwork - is this the issue? Shouldn't an update to a state capture all the content of the document?

I was originally under the same understanding that when a previously captured state is updated both the layer scope updated to include any new layers as well as any visibility changes made, so when the state did not update the scope with the new layers I logged this with the development team.

However I have since been informed that this might be by design and that the current functionality of the update button is only intended to update the layer state for those that it originally captured in the scope when that particular state was created, however I'm still waiting to hear back from dev to confirm. For now I'll bump the existing issue with your report to bring some more attention to it.

image.png

If this is by design I'll be logging this functionality to be added, as you pointed out it can become frustrating to delete, re-create and maintain previously captured states when new layers have since been added so hopefully this will be considered so update captures any new layers as well.

21 minutes ago, Like, would like more if… said:

Is there a reason why you can't rename a query or captured state? 

Not sure, but I agree that it is unusual that it doesn't appear to be possible, I'll log this separately.

Thanks for that, hadn't seen the update states explainer - and while it might seem to make sense to some, I agree with your original observation, otherwise historical states (which I'm using to build and unbuild a diagram for export) get rendered useless if you need that new content added at various points. 

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases