You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - Export PDF - Why No N-Up Option?

I have created a 4 page A5 leaflet (A4 folded in half) booklet so that's a front page, double spread inside and a back page.

Using the facing pages option this has been straightforward.

During design I was able to print previews on A4 from the Print dialog by using the Layout -> Model -> N-Up options to make Pages 1 and 4 print on one piece of A4 for the front and back pages to fold over.

I now need to send to the printers and want to use the power of the Export PDF dialog for press ready file  - The centre spread (pages 2 and 3) is not issue as it comes out as one large spread but I can't see a way to combine pages 1 and 4 (i.e. front and back) into one spread - there is no N-Up option - it only wants to export as single pages which is not what the printers need  - what am I missing here?

export-pdf.jpg

You miss imposition options on export. Usually a print service handles facing-paged PDF documents correctly as required (and request a facing-page layout to be exported as single pages). In your case you may need a workaround and create the double-page layout on two single pages, each as a A4 landscape.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

In your case you may need a workaround and create the double-page layout on two single pages, each as a A4 landscape.

Which is where I was going but I was thinking to myself "this can't be right" - the printers accept single file (and expect 2 spreads in it) or 2 separate files for each spread. This seems odds that I can't combine things on export like this if you can when going through the print dialog (which of course I don't want to do so I maintain quality PDF export)

16 minutes ago, Kilburn Flyer said:

the printers accept single file (and expect 2 spreads in it)

This is rather unusual for a facing paged document. However, this print service seems to lack in the usual imposition step before printing and simply handles this 'product' as a double-sided print of an A4 landscape document.

Another workaround (and simpler than switching the .afpub to single pages):

1. Add 1 page at the end of your current layout document.
2. Copy (or cut) the content of page 1 and paste it on page 5.*
3. Export only the pages 2 to 5 as the required two spreads (2+3 / 4+5).

*2a. If wanted change the spread order inside APub before export.

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

This is rather unusual for a facing paged document. However, this print service seems to lack in the usual imposition step before printing and simply handles this 'product' as a double-sided print of an A4 landscape document.

Yes - that is what it seems like:

https://www.instantprint.co.uk/folded-leaflets/half-fold?paper-size=a5&paper-type=150gsm-silk&binding-fold-edge=long-edge-bound&lamination=no-lamination&spotuv=none&turnaround=standard&quantity=25

I will have a fiddle with your workaround because I just spoke to them and they were saying "just send it over and we will work it out" which sounds like a worse idea than giving them something in a format they are ready to work with!

11 minutes ago, Kilburn Flyer said:

I will have a fiddle with your workaround because I just spoke to them and they were saying "just send it over and we will work it out" which sounds like a worse idea than giving them something in a format they are ready to work with!

Agree. The only "fiddling" part may be to remove the inner bleed in the objects of page 1 and 4.
An easy way is to nest the content of each page in a separate "Rectangle" layer as parent clipping object which has its size set with bleed on top/bottom + outside only (-> 151 x 216 mm).

1 minute ago, thomaso said:

nest the content of each page in a separate "Rectangle" layer as parent clipping object which has its size set with bleed on top/bottom + outside only (-> 151 x 216 mm).

That's a good idea because as you say now I have to remove the bleed on the left of the page whilst maintaining the bleed for the other 3 edges and you can imagine I have a lots of stuff outside the printable area and a simple copy and paste when combined with the other solo art board which is now a double spread is a mess! 

3 hours ago, Kilburn Flyer said:

I now need to send to the printers and want to use the power of the Export PDF dialog for press ready file  - The centre spread (pages 2 and 3) is not issue as it comes out as one large spread but I can't see a way to combine pages 1 and 4 (i.e. front and back) into one spread - there is no N-Up option - it only wants to export as single pages which is not what the printers need  - what am I missing here?

Ask the printers if they will accept a PDF file that is single pages Front, inside Left, inside Right, and Back. AKA as pages 1,2,3, and 4. Export the file as a Print ready Pdf with the output set to All Pages instead of Spreads.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 3/15/2024 at 3:14 PM, Old Bruce said:

Ask the printers if they will accept a PDF file that is single pages Front, inside Left, inside Right, and Back. AKA as pages 1,2,3, and 4. Export the file as a Print ready Pdf with the output set to All Pages instead of Spreads.

Then it involves them doing manual work and the client uses one of these "pile em high - sell it cheap" places where all the proofing job assembly is automate

e.g.:

https://www.instantprint.co.uk/folded-leaflets/half-fold?paper-size=a4&paper-type=150gsm-silk&binding-fold-edge=long-edge-bound&lamination=no-lamination&spotuv=none&turnaround=standard&quantity=25

I think I need to conform to what they want so I don't get nasty surprises and manually bodge it myself :(

3 minutes ago, anto said:

You can use virtual PDF printer and print to PDF.

Print --> Layout model -->Booklet, also you can include bleeds.

For home it is OK, but for Print house i do not know.

Yes - I considered this but it would need a quality Print to PDF driver and the way it handles postscript - the free ones I already tried did odd things - I'm sure the paid for ones are good - I wish I could just use the excellent PDF export feature in Publisher with the N-Up options!