You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

many photos inserted in text document

I continue to have much angst around keeping photos where I put them within book text. They keep jumping away, not only all over the page, but anywhere in the document. I put the photo within a frame and pin it, but then have issues if I alter the text above the photo, or add other photos ealrier in the document. It helps to use page breaks where I can, but that doesn't solve the problem. 

I also have issues with photo frames 'locking' so I can't select them to change or move (the frame with the asterix in each corner). On random occasions, this even happens sometimes when I insert a picture frame or drag an 'asset' frame onto the page. I can't then select it or populate it. The only way I can remove the 'lock' is to 'edit detached' but I can't find out why it happens (that would be good) or any quicker way to make it editable. I don't seem to be able to 'undo' whatever has happened. And 'edit detached' then sometimes seems to result in other issues. 

please help - can't find any video tutorials around putting many random pictures into a largely text Affinity Publisher book

thanks in anticipation

Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 11.06.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 10.08.41 AM.png

42 minutes ago, MaxineD said:

I also have issues with photo frames 'locking' so I can't select them to change or move (the frame with the asterix in each corner). On random occasions, this even happens sometimes when I insert a picture frame or drag an 'asset' frame onto the page. I can't then select it or populate it. The only way I can remove the 'lock' is to 'edit detached' but I can't find out why it happens (that would be good) or any quicker way to make it editable. I don't seem to be able to 'undo' whatever has happened. And 'edit detached' then sometimes seems to result in other issues. 

Regarding this second issue, this topic can probably enlighten you a bit:

(It's generally advised to only have one question per thread. It's easier later for everybody.)

Affinity Suite 2.5 – Monterey 12.7.5 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

I'm not sure I fully understand the first question (the second is likely the issue Oufti has highlighted). Are you pinning the images as floating or as inline? If you're using Float, Publisher does the best it can to fit the images on the page but their position relative to text may change. I prefer to use Inline whenever I can and with that the images never change locations. If this isn't the issue, can you show us a picture of the problem?

Cheers

I haven't used inline at all, but my initial try didn't work. How do you shift the picture to where you want it, nad wrap text? I'll need to watch a tutorial on it I guess. I trialled grouping pictures, thinking that might hellp, but got totally tangled up. Don't seem to be able to take pictures out of a group (dragging doesn't work - but I think that might be because the ones I'm trying to shift have somehow got stuck in the master!)

Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 5.18.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 5.18.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 1.55.04 PM.png

If you want the text to flow on the side of the photo and not just flow above and below, then you will need to use Float rather than Inline. Inline means the image will be on the baseline of the one line of text in which you've pinned the image.

If you have a caption for an image, it's essential that you group the image and caption and then pin the group. Ensure that the individual caption and image objects don't have text wrap turned on, you just want to see those settings for the group.

I wrote a new chapter in my free Publisher manual that covers this topic so you might want to check it out. The link is below in my signature.

Good luck