You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing Opacity after Deleting Transparancey From an Object or Group Causes an Instant Crash

Deleting transparency created using the Transparency Tool from both a Layer or a Group and then attempting to change the Opacity (Position or Midpoint) using either the sliders or entering a value for said Layer or Group results in an instant crash in both Publisher and Designer...

Crash Reports

Affinity Publisher 2 Affinity Store-2024-03-06-152817.ips Affinity Designer 2 Affinity Store-2024-03-06-152944.ips

I'm also curious to understand how Opacity is maintained or applied to a Group when the file is opened in Affinity Photo since Photo doesn't have a Transparency Tool.

Selecting a Group with Opacity applied using the Transparency Tool in Designer or Publisher doesn't indicate the 'true' Opacity value for the Group anywhere, i.e., in the Layers or Colour Panels even when Passthrough is changed to Normal meaning there is no way to adjust the Transparency value in Photo for the Group beyond the value set in Designer or Publisher, so there is no way to set the Opacity of the Group back to 100%...

Sample File

Transparency Master.afpub

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi @Hangman,
Thanks for your feedback. I'm logging the crash here.
Regarding the Transparency Tool, it was intended as a feature for Designer (and later Publisher) only. Typically photo editors do not have a transparency tool and initially the focus was in providing each app with the dedicated tools for the area they were targeting (in this case photo editing). Same thing happens for example with the foreground colour of text frames which can't still be edited in Designer as there's no text frame panel available. Recently in dev we start "converging" things a bit bringing some tools/features to others apps for convenience/consistency (States). The case you are raising probably should be considered too - I'm taking this to the dev team for consideration and eventually filling an improvement request.

Hi @MEB,

Perfect, many thanks for logging the bug and also for raising this particular issue with the Dev team and for filing an improvement request...

I can understand that it makes little sense to include every feature and tool across all three apps as it would make little sense though I guess for both this specific example and the one you site, i.e., the text frame background colour, if you don't own the respective apps to adjust these two particular settings and are provided with an Affinity file you're a little stuck when it comes to making changes if you only own Photo (or Designer/Photo for the Text Frame)...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse