You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint Brush Tool Applying Two Colours at Once?

Okay, so I've been driving myself up the wall here, because I've just noticed that my paint brush in black is also painting white depending on the existing luminosity of the image it seems?

Check the video out, and please let me know if this is something I'm doing, or whether it's yet another AP2 issue to add to the list. Also note the ridiculous rendering I'm having to deal with on my M1 MacBook Air. I've tried all sorts of hardware settings to no avail.

brush-settings.png

Edited by tomdot

Without seeing the complete application window we're missing some information that may be important, such as the current Blend Mode, and current Wet Edges settings which would be visible in the Context Toolbar.

It also seems odd that there's no brush preview shown in your screenshot of the brush editing dialog.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, tomdot said:

and the brush did not have wet edges activated. I checked this, and never use it anyway for my needs. 

But some brushes will set it automatically, and then some other brushes (such as the one you're using) leave it however it was last set. So it can be set without your realizing it.

Anyway, thanks for checking.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Would it be possible for you to Release the Pixel Layer so it has no parent layer, remove all of the other layers, add a coloured Rectangle below the Pixel Layer, and then try painting on the Pixel layer again?

If the effect still happens then that would tell us that other layers are definitely not involved and hopefully make diagnosis easier.

Ah actually I just did that and I don’t believe I saw the issue. I don’t have video of that unfortunately. The only visible layer underneath is the dodge curves layer and the original image. There are other layers inbetween, but they’re not visible. 

Even if they are not visible, the software could be (accidentally or otherwise) applying some kind of influence from them to the painting.

Have you tried removing the hidden layers, one by one, until the effect goes away?

I can, but I don't need to if you can replicate it:

1. Create a Curves adjustment and boost the brightness.

2. Add an empty mask to it and paint in white.

3. Add a pixel layer above and paint in black over the top of the white.

4. Group the layers and enjoy.

You can see how wrong my dodging looks after moving the pixel layer, which had been in that folder from the start. I've been able to replicate this with another file also.