You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Working with wrap around?

I know this is a basic protocol, but after going through half a dozen Affinity tutorials that cover everything BUT how the wrapping works ... perhaps I could ask for a bit of advice here?

Text and images. Image #1 is what I want to get. In this instance I placed the pictures and grouped them with their captions and pinned them to the page. BUT to get the text flow to jump to the next page and not get all caught up in between the two images I hit the Return a score of times.

Image #2 is what I get when I click the Wrapping 'Jump'. The picture balances better when I set it a bit down from the top of the page (and I don't want two lines of text above it, looks awkward). What would be the best way to deal with this? And if I just hit Return a score of times to get the text to start on the next page, am I setting myself up for issues later?

All ears, Ben

What I want.jpg

What I start with..jpg

Take a look at how I have set the text distance in the Edit Text Wrap section.

ScreenShot2024-03-05at10_42_53AM.png.1edb9d95992be4fd4ec6b14c1e5cc62d.png

ScreenShot2024-03-05at10_42_05AM.png.c2803939a4dd7a7edd15d37e7e563e73.png

ScreenShot2024-03-05at10_48_45AM.png.f384a073b4090dc56bcce5c6bf7acb81.png

I also include a file made with version one of Publisher that shows how to skip the text frame so no wrap needs to be applied.

Untitled.afpub

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Duh. Thank you kindly Old Bruce. This is perfect. And you sample file I will look at shortly ... as I have a place in the book where there are five or six pages of just photographs.

Really appreciated. Ha ha ... when I think of how much time I spend looking for this precise thing in the tutorials (and not finding it).

Will report back .... when I check your sample. Most intrigued.

All the best ...

Just an aside... I live up in the area your sample page is talking about. The good old Wet Left Coast.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Hi Old Bruce,

I opened your document. I see we go from 'Text Wrap' to 'Broken Link'. I Google Affinity Publisher 'Broken Link' and get all kinds of unrelated stuff. Excuse my slowness. Are you saying 'create a broken link to the next bunch of text'? And then how do we go back to 'text wrap' after the pics?

Or am I not getting this?

Right now where I have a picture on a single page I want to keep otherwise blank I've done the 'Return return return' to move the text to the next page.

I AM applying your other direction (adding spacing) where the pics are stacked in between wrapped text -- working perfectly.

19 hours ago, benged123 said:

Right now where I have a picture on a single page I want to keep otherwise blank I've done the 'Return return return' to move the text to the next page.

I could have been clearer. When I said "broken link" I was referring to the text flow from Left page to Right page and then to the next spread. You could break the linked text flow from the left page and relink it to the following spread's left page. This will leave you with an empty unlinked text frame on the right page.

And please do not ever use "Return, return, return, etc" to skip a page. You can use a Page break, a Frame break or even perhaps a Column break. Text > Insert > Breaks > ... 

Click on the little arrow (or triangle) at the bottom right of the text frame and then if you click on the same text frame the outgoing text link will be broken. You can then click again on the little arrow at the bottom right and then choose a text frame on the next spread to continue flowing the text.

This is terrific Old Bruce. I can race ahead now. It all makes perfect sense. Thank you kindly.

I posted elsewhere on the Forum that I can't find the Transform window (or whatever it's called). I want to highlight a group of photos and 'batch' set their size so they are all the same proportions (they are all actually the same proportions ... but when I brought them in they were sized at random to get them on the page).

In Pages I can just type in the XY size over in the Inspector ... and get all objects or photos the same size instantly.

I can't figure out how to do this in Affinity. It seems like it should be obvious.

Perhaps you could do one of your magic .... 'just do this' ...?

3 hours ago, benged123 said:

I posted elsewhere on the Forum....

You did that here. It is best not to ask the same question in two different topics so please see that topic for the suggestions already made about that issue, & if necessary post any additional questions or comment about it there.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Happy to have helped.