You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error with PDF-Export

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with the PDF export in Affinity Publisher (version 2.4). I am trying to export my portfolio (57 pages, 1.03 GB, incl. hyperlinks) as a digital PDF with high quality. Unfortunately, no value is displayed when calculating the file size. If I try to export anyway, an error message appears: "Error during export ...". I have already tried various things, but I am slowly reaching the end of my knowledge.

When exporting as a PDF in a smaller size, when exporting as an image, or when exporting a single page as a PDF in high quality, the file size is calculated and there is no error message. 

In the screenshot you can see my export settings, maybe someone can help me. Many thanks in advance for your support.

Kind regards Lukas

Export Settings.png

Error message.png

Hi @oskar3579 and @Helmi Amirudin,

If Tagged PDF is checked towards the bottom of the Advanced section try unchecking it and see if your file exports then without issue...

There is a known bug that causes the file to fail to export to PDF when Tagged PDF is enabled using this preset.

Affinity Designer 2.5.0 | Affinity Photo 2.5.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.5.0
Affinity Designer Beta 2.5.0.2486 | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0.2486 | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0.2486

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi @oskar3579 @Helmi Amirudin,

Any chance you could provide a copy of the .afpub file where you're running into this export failure with Tagged PDF enabled? This will help us confirm if it's related to an existing bug with the tags function, or something new which needs to be investigated. I've provided a private upload link below if you don't wish to share the file publicly.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/3CW78yaOtfG5VrpvV1sr

Many thanks

• 2 months later...

Hello.

I'm, having the same issue with Tags enabled exports. Works when Tags are not enabled. Affinity Publisher version 2.4.2.

Consistent error across different files, save locations, etc. In addition to fixing the error, please explore if the error message could be updated to reflect the error type/code. I've spent a good part of an afternoon debugging, and an informative error message would have been helpful. Also, is there a known bug list that users can search through - I could search there for workarounds before triaging myself.

thanks.

image.png.f992ca8d0ceb0afa31c41421e0fe9c7a.png

• Staff

Hi @Milo_D,

There is a known bug with vector masked/cropped text causing the PDF export to fail when Tags are enabled in the PDF export settings, this is fixed in the latest beta so you could try opening and exporting your document from the Beta apps to confirm if that resolves the issue.

16 minutes ago, Milo_D said:

In addition to fixing the error, please explore if the error message could be updated to reflect the error type/code. I've spent a good part of an afternoon debugging, and an informative error message would have been helpful.

For future reference It is possible to enabling PDFLib logging for debugging PDF export issues, info below.

15 minutes ago, Milo_D said:

Also, is there a known bug list that users can search through - I could search there for workarounds before triaging myself.

Not one that is public unfortunately.

Hi @NathanC

Thanks for the swift response. I will enable logging for future errors. Since you mentioned vector masked / clipped text, here is also what happened in the same document.

The preceding steps to error are:

1. Imported a PDF into AFPUB

2. Appended a new page at the end of the document

3. Exported the .afpub file to pdf. (This is when I received the Tag error)

4. Removed Tag checkmark.

5 Export completed successfully, except

6. Upon opening the exported PDF, certain text is cropped (arrows mark the missing characters) on a slide mid-presentation, that was untouched during the last-slide append process.

image.png.e99b2bcb7a43782c1809458b92b2a594.png

7. Here is what the original looks like:

image.png.a24e09f27cd2c813aceb4e855d196bca.png

8. When I look at the original PDF in any PDF reader and editor, it looks fine. But in the imported document (PDF -> AFPub), there seem to be a number of masks on the text boxes of the text element. After removing the masks, it appears the text was truncated during the import process, and the masks were not masking anything.

Not sure if this is a related bug, and probably needs to be in a different thread, but couldn't find one.

thanks again for you help.

regards,

Milo D.

image.thumb.png.179814f651e829c042da5943ceb3217b.png

image.png

image.png