You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher deleted my working file while crashing

Hi,

I am using Publisher 2.3.1 on Windows 11Pro 22H2.

I am used to Publisher crashing now and then. But up to now, there was always a restored file when I reopened the program.

This time, apparently Publisher deleted my File while crashing. It happened when I was trying to copy a picture from one frame to another.

My working file simply isn't in the working folder anymore (and not in the bin, either). There ist an autosave file, which I can open changing it to *.afpub. But then only the following message appears saying that the file is linked to another file which can't be found. When I open this file in a text editor, I can see a path to the file that apparently has been deleted.

image.png.d60330898408dabb07aa4679a5139006.png

I'd be most grateful if someone could help.

Stefan

• Staff

Hi @Foucault,

Sorry, you've experienced this.  The autosave only keeps track of changes, so needs the original file in order to apply those changes.  It's not meant for recovery in this way, which is why you get the message about it being linked to another file.

Could you see this link can you just check and see if you have a crash report that would match up to the date of the crash and attach the crash report here? As crash is always unwanted behaviour but seeing as it also deleted the .afpub file, I'm hoping that's covered in the log file. 

If you could attach the .autosave file, i can see if there's anything that can be here to extract some data from the file but I suspect it won't be a complete copy of your original file due to how the autosave function works. 

Sadly there isn't much more you can do, you may have luck with a File Recovery app that can recover deleted files.

I removed all affinity-software, reinstalled them with the administrator-account - no more crashes. Then I reinstalled the software with my personal account - no more crashes, until now.

1 minute ago, WinnerB said:

no more crashes, until now

I hope you mean “so far”! When you say “until now” you make it sound as though you’ve just experienced a crash after having had a welcome break from such things.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)