You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash on operations on 16bbp TIF file.

Reproducible on demand when I attempt to perform much of anything in Affinity on a very large, 16bbp TIF file.  All the DMPs appear to involve 

SYMBOL_NAME:  libraster+36c2b
MODULE_NAME: libraster
IMAGE_NAME:  libraster.dll
STACK_COMMAND:  ~51s; .ecxr ; kb
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  INVALID_POINTER_READ_c0000005_libraster.dll!Unknown
OSPLATFORM_TYPE:  x64
OSNAME:  Windows 8
FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {f0b5294f-762c-424f-b084-10b223a33028}

=================================================

SYMBOL_NAME:  libraster+1eaab9b

MODULE_NAME: libraster

IMAGE_NAME:  libraster.dll

STACK_COMMAND:  ~32s; .ecxr ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  NULL_CLASS_PTR_READ_c0000005_libraster.dll!Unknown

OSPLATFORM_TYPE:  x64

OSNAME:  Windows 8

FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {ca368141-31fb-c81f-4b40-255dc5bbe817}

They're only minidumps and my debugging skills are only mediocre at best.  

Thanks,

Steve

2ed3aca2-021f-48a7-beda-e1d996a008df.dmp 0d38ae26-6e47-41a0-a46f-b035d1b2fff7.dmp attachment_Log.txt

• Staff

Hi @TheFNGeeand Welcome to the Forums,

First i should state, we don't support beta or preview versions of Operating Systems, so running into some issues is to be expected.

One thing i have noticed, you are running version 2.3.0 and not 2.3.1 which is the current update.  So first, install the 2.3.1 update and see if you get a crash again.  If you do get a crash, please attach the latest report here.  Another to try once you've updated to 2.3.1 click Edit>Settings>Performance and untick Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of this screen, close Settings and you'll be asked to restart Affinity.  Once restarted, try using the app again and let me know the results.

1 hour ago, stokerg said:

First i should state, we don't support beta or preview versions of Operating Systems, so running into some issues is to be expected.

From what I read in the posted error message the OP is running Windows 8, so hardly a beta or preview version I think.

However, @TheFNGee, Affinity Photo version 2 requires at least Windows 10 20H1 (as per this page) so I suspect that may well be at least part of the reason for the error you see.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Hi, Folks - I should have been more specific, and I apologize. Yes, I am running a pre-release of Win11.  (The only reason I can think of for it to say Win8 is because whatever module is doing the reporting might have started from a Win8 codebase tree, I dunno).

I also understand the reluctance to support a pre-release version of the OS software, but most of the base operation code libraries are in place and not subject to change, and I've been on the WindowsInsider Program for nine years, and actually worked for the great satan for 15 years.  :) 

Just so you know, on the same system I run:

PaintShopPro 2023, Topaz AI products, DoX, All the PC-based Cyberlink, MAGIX, and Pinnacle video/audio/photo editing software, and most of the time, they don't error out much in the middle of image manipulation.  Since I'm on the Topaz Beta, I also send debug reports in for that one and of course, the OS as well.

My hope was to find an advanced editing program that could actually use the 128GB in my PC, the 2TB Pro 980 SSDs that make up the OS, and caching drives without coming to a crawl when I really zoom in on an 8K x 8K - 16bbp TIF image.  PSP just doesn't do what I think it should with the resources available to it, even with an nVidia 4070ti.

Someone suggested going back to Adobe. All products are subscription-based now, and I will never do subscriptions. Sell me a license for what you will and keep me updated, and mebe charge me for the occasional update, but monthly?  Nah.

Anyway, I'll keep playing with Affinity, and try to avoid the things that bother libraster.  Is that like a "raster library?"  The video drivers I use are all nVidia-released.

Thanks,
Steve