You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 2 Marquee Tool is not precise when entering size in navigator

Using marquee tool copy and paste to new layer adds transparent / semi transparent pixels on the pasted image - *when manually adjusting the size in the navigator. I've followed the online help doc to precise selecting but nothing helps. Selections should be pixel precise.

I’m having a bit of trouble understanding what you are trying to tell us.

For instance, you mention “adjusting the size in the navigator” but the Navigator Panel has nothing the do with pixel selections.

Also, which “marquee tool” are you using, as there are many?

Can you give a bit more detail as to what you are doing, what you are doing it to, and what the problem you are having with it is?

Full-screen screenshots are often useful for problem diagnosis if you cannot share the document.

Sorry about that. The image below is the result of a 50px by 50px marquee selection where I adjusted the dimensions of the selection in the Transform tab.

Steps:

1. Drag a marquee (rectangular marquee tool)
  2. Adjust in the Transform to 50px by 50px
  3. Ctrl + V paste (which auto creates another layer)
  4. The resulting layer is 55px by 56px with anti aliased edges
  5. *Oddly - creating a layer and Create Selection from Layer appears to work correctly but the marquee tool demonstrates unexpected behavior.

I've tested with all snapping off and whole pixels only, but this behavior occurs on several images that I have tested.

Any insight would be appreciated.

50x50 px expands on paste to new layer

image.png.fedd8dfd259d609653b699c0964e0e7f.png

Sometimes the new layer pixels spill over the layer dimensions.

image.png.a5418413300318bce1b242a3c6bc8ae8.png

image.png

Hi @jgarza,

Do you perhaps have a Feather value set in the Context toolbar for your marquee selection?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi @jgarza,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is a known issue with the "transform" operation (enlarging the selection through the Transform panel). The bigger the increase in size of the original selection through the Transform panel, the more visible the fading effect is. If you perform these steps without ever changing the selection size - that is, just copy and paste it does work as intended. I'm updating/bumping the bug report. Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not sure this is accurate. This is the result of a 30x30px selection (mouse only) and paste to new layer. The result produces 31x31px with spillover.

FYI - I've been using Affinity products for some time now and they are awesome!

image.png.4e8f6bb8e14c58c496d958eed097e264.png

• Staff

That's a different thing and happens because the selection was pasted on non intenger values (it's not pixel aligned). In the main toolbar enable Force Pixel Alignment, then move that pasted layer a bit until it becomes pixel aligned. Also make sure the original image where you are copying from is equally aligned with the pixel grid - it is when you open it but you may have moved the image on canvas...

The Force Pixel align and move by whole pixels is on (I generally always keep them on) the the result is pixel spill over.

*** I DID notice that the background image I was selecting (x, y) was not integer aligned ... the resulting pixel integer aligned paste results in pixel spillover. So I think the underlying image needs to be pixel aligned as well (makes sense - pixel align selected to pixel aligned paste). 

I realigned underlying image to integer aligned (x,y) and the mouse marquee select appears to work as expected. Adjusting select via Transform still produces extra pixels.

Thank you for the help!

• Staff

Turn off Move by Whole Pixels, leave just Force Pixel Alignment ON.
Move by Whole Pixels will force pixels/images that are on non-integer values keep the partial pixels after you move them because the movement distance is restricted to whole pixel values with that setting ON:  let's say a pixel is located at X=5.6. If you move/drag it 10 px to the right (or any other whole value - remember that setting restricts the transforms to whole pixel values) it will end up in X=15,6 thus keeping it non-pixel aligned.

Force Pixel Alignment - does not have that restriction thus forces all pixels to be aligned no matter if the original position were partial pixels or not.