You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Quits

Hi @glenncheney,

Is this happening when opening a specific Publisher file or when opening the app itself rather than a Publisher file...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

It seems to be happening when I try to start up the app, without any specific file. Opening a specific files doesn't work either, except sometimes,es! As it just did. At the moment, it's running, but later, it might now. 

If I need to re-install the app, please explain how. 

Thanks for your help. 

glenn cheney

Hi @glenncheney,

It's probably worth doing a factory reset rather than a re-install...

1. Hold the Ctrl key and launch Publisher
  2. When you see the Clear User Data screen, leave the first three options checked
  3. Hit the Clear button and let Publisher finish launching

See whether or not that makes any difference and let us know. If not we can then explore alternative options...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

• Staff

@glenncheney If you do wish to uninstall the app from your system, the process is the same as most macOS apps. Open your Applications folder and click drag the apps icon to the Bin or right click the app icon and select Move to Bin. I then recommend restarting your system, once restarted you can then login to your account (depending on which store you purchased from) to download a fresh copy.

It may also be worth checking to see if there are any crash reports that correspond to when the app closes for checking.

Well damn. The factory reset didn't work. it worked for a few minutes, but then started crashing again and again and again. 

is it possible it's because the file is very large? It's a book of photographs. 

I guess I'll try reloading the app. 

16 minutes ago, glenncheney said:

is it possible it's because the file is very large? It's a book of photographs.

How big is the file and how much free disc space and RAM do you have?

Spoiler

I have 8 mb of memory, 8 gb 2133 MHz DDR4, 181 gb available on disk, running Ventura 13.6.4 on an iMac. 

I restarted the computer, reinstalled Publisher, and it continued to crash within a second of launching. So I did a factory reset. Same thing after a few minutes. I reset again, and this time, i keep saving after each change to the file. That seems to be working. 

So a question: some of the photos I'm putting into the book are very large. I drag one corner of a large photo to make it fit on a page. Does that shrinking action also shrink the size of the image, that is, the total bytes of the image and thus of the over all file? Or should I do something else to shrink the image before I place it into the book, to keep the file smaller? 

10 minutes ago, glenncheney said:

So a question: some of the photos I'm putting into the book are very large. I drag one corner of a large photo to make it fit on a page. Does that shrinking action also shrink the size of the image, that is, the total bytes of the image and thus of the over all file? Or should I do something else to shrink the image before I place it into the book, to keep the file smaller? 

Certainly, it will do when exporting the file to PDF when keeping your images as Image Layers so I believe your approach is correct...

It's not impossible that there may be an issue with one particular image that could be causing your file to constantly crash but without seeing the file in question along with the associated images that will be difficult to determine...

Are your images Linked or Embedded in your Publisher document and are they located on your internal Hard Drive, an External Drive or in the Cloud? The latter could also be a potential cause of the crashes you're experiencing...