You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 2.3.1 / Mac: Live effect gaussian blur and Layer effect gaussian blur... what's the logic behind this difference?

So i'm continuing my shenanigans of taking pictures of my bread and posting it online. It's been going really well based on the high quality feedback I got in this thread.

I essentially have two layers, one for foreground and one for preserving the original shadow, using Linear burn in combination with Curves adjustment, to have a natural looking shadow on a one color background.  

Sometimes however, I have to limit the visibility of the background layer. I use a shape for this. In this context, what I don't understand is the difference in result between a live filter and layer filter. In this example I want to add a gaussian effect to the rasterized shape used as a mask. 

The layer effect result is what I aimed for. But why is there a difference in result between these two seemingly equally named functions? I'll gladly admit I'm new to working in depth with images, but I'm compelled to ask as it seems there's something more general to learn about why one would choose one type of function over the other. 

Thanks!

Using Live filter (the edge blurs inwards)

image.thumb.png.3fea852894a9f90d31a492fd52e5a1e8.png

Using Layer effect (the shape gets blurred, making a smooth transition in the mask)

image.thumb.png.499affde5650026feb1e21fa444156b3.png

I would need the actual file, because fine details matter.

most important: a live blur filter needs to be in masking position, then it can impact the whole canvas and is not bound to the shape of the parent layer.

If you nest it to child position, it will get clipped at the edge of the parent layer. This probably happened in your case.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

9 hours ago, christerdk said:

In this context, what I don't understand is the difference in result between a live filter and layer filter. In this example I want to add a gaussian effect to the rasterized shape used as a mask. 

(…) why is there a difference in result between these two seemingly equally named functions?

I think the difference is not between the two filter types or their blurring functionality but rather your layer hierarchy for the Live Filer. It seems your Live Filter is nested / used in a masking position for the elliptical pixel mask. – How about this:

Bildschirmfoto2024-02-13um13_19_54.jpg.24f7c70937d6850c12eba3b18311238f.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1