You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to correct a dictionary in Publisher?

Hi "Specialst(s)",                (I am a French beginner)

I was checking spelling of a German text using "Text -> Spelling-> Spelling Options".

I inadvertently clicked "Learn" for a misspelled word. This word seems now to be recognized as corresctly spelled from now on…

How can I eliminate "wrongly learnt" words from the dictionnary?
Is there any mean to define "personal dictionnraries"?

If I click "Ignore" for

Sorry! I am reaaly unlucky… I have just inadvertently clicked the return key!

If I click "Ignore" for a word:

• Is it ignored for ever, and for any afpub file that I will define?
  • Is it ignored for the cureent file  in the current session?
  • Is it ignored for the current file for next session when I will reopen the file?

More generraly, where can I find detailed informations on the use of Publisher dictionnaries ?

Learn updates the dictionary info for all your documents. If you Learn something by mistake, just right-click on the weird and you'll have an option to Unlearn.

Ignore just ignores the word's spelling for the current document. Again, right-clicking on such a word show give you the option to Unignore it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt!

But, the problem is for misspelled words that I have learnt, and that I have not recognized as a "wrongly learnt": they are non longer misspellings forever…

It would be usefull to be able to "review" the learnt words, and clean the set of learnt words for errors.

I think that a systematic choice of "ignore" is safer if it works forever for a given file

2 hours ago, Lobivia said:

Thanks Walt!

But, the problem is for misspelled words that I have learnt, and that I have not recognized as a "wrongly learnt": they are non longer misspellings forever…

It would be usefull to be able to "review" the learnt words, and clean the set of learnt words for errors.

I think that a systematic choice of "ignore" is safer if it works forever for a given file

Walt was suggesting was that if you know you learned a word by mistake, you can just right-click it even though t's not underlined and choose Unlearn.

I think you're on macOS based on previous posts so if you believe you learned some misspelled words a while ago but don't remember what they are so you can't just click Unlearn, you can edit the macOS spelling dictionary.

1. Save any work in progress in any app - you're going to be restarting macOS
  2. Using Find, choose Go > Go to Folder
  3. Enter ~/Library/Spelling and press Return
  4. Double-click the dictionary for the language you want to edit - the filename will depend on the language. For example, English Canada is en_CA. French is fr_FR.  The file will open in Text Edit. If it opens in another app quit it and then right-click the file and choose Open With > Text Edit.
  5. Delete the words you want to remove. Don't leave blank lines.
  6. Save the file and quit.
  7. Restart your Mac.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hi Mike,

I feel that what you propose is my solution!!!

But I am French, and I use a French version of MacOS… Thus, I do not understand clearly your item 2. Do you suggest me to use the find tool (lens icon) which top right of a finder window? then to write "~/Library/Spelling"?

If yes, it gives no result!
Otherwise give further explanations to the "poor incompetent that I am"!

Mike, I think that "You + I" are both geniuses!

I just found in MacintoshHD>Utilisateurs>dsw>Bibliothèque>Spelling a file named "de" (and another named "fr"). When I double click these files I see my "learn" of Publisher!!!

NB: in the folder hierarchy above, French words are used:  Utilisateurs = Users, Biliothèque = Library, and "dsw" is my acronym. (incidentally, ~ in your "~/Library/Spelling" is just myself!!!)

TANKS A LOT Mike! I was almost sure that you were providing the solution…   🍾🍾🍾

Now I go to bed: it is 11 pm here in France…

2 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Using Find, choose Go > Go to Folder

Enter ~/Library/Spelling and press Return

Dans le Finder, choisissez dans le menu Aller > Aller au dossier…

Tapez (ou collez) ~/Library/Spelling et validez avec la touche Retour.

1 hour ago, Lobivia said:

(incidentally, ~ in your "~/Library/Spelling" is just myself!!!)

De fait, dans les chemins de fichiers, le tilde ~ est l'abréviation de la "petite maison", notre dossier utilisateur.
Et pour les dossiers créés par le système, tant le nom anglais que le nom traduit sont reconnus par la commande "Aller au dossier…"

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

Bonjour Oufti,

Ah, ça fait du bien de parler français!

Je crois que je n'ai jamais utilisé le menu "Aller" du finder… 🤔 🫣
Comme on dit dans la campagne du Forez (à l'ouest de Lyon), "Mieux vaut mourir le soir que le matin car on apprend toujours quelque chose dans la journée!" 😂

J'aime bien les produits Affinity qui me font découvrir plein de choses… Bien mieux, selon moi, que les équivalents Adobe que j'ai abandonnés pour raison de prix………
Ceci étant la gestion des dictionnaires dans InDesign me paraît plus efficace et plus souple que dans Publisher.

Amicalement,