You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font weights unavailable in Windows app (TTF)

Most font weights for a TTF system font on Affinity apps on Windows are unavailable. The actual weights show up only as Regular or Italic, and render in the Thin weight.

The font in question is Neue Haas Grotesk Text Pro, which is available as an Optional Feature through Windows settings.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 130550.png

Edited by yashbutno

Hi and welcome to the forum, @yashbutno

The Affinity programs do not currently support variable fonts. You have to switch to the static versions of the fonts.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

29 minutes ago, Komatös said:

Hi and welcome to the forum, @yashbutno

The Affinity programs do not currently support variable fonts. You have to switch to the static versions of the fonts.

Hi @Komatös, thanks for responding.

I'm unfortunately unable to access invidual weights. I'm not interested in variable axes. See available weights here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/font-list/neue-haas-grotesk-text-pro

When you inspect it through Control Panel > Fonts, it appear that the font files are somehow 'linked' together. It also mentions 'Open Type Variations', which suggests that the type family might indeed be variable https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/otvaroverview

Shouldn't the default behaviour be to list individual weights, and not break all functionality because one feature is unsupported?

4 hours ago, yashbutno said:

Shouldn't the default behaviour be to list individual weights, and not break all functionality because one feature is unsupported?

It's not "one feature is unsupported". Variable fonts and Static fonts are quite different in construction. To use that font in Affinity you must uninstall the Variable versions you currently have installed, and install the Static versions instead.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's not "one feature is unsupported". Variable fonts and Static fonts are quite different in construction. To use that font in Affinity you must uninstall the Variable versions you currently have installed, and install the Static versions instead.

Thanks for responding, Walt!

I looked a bit more into the particular font files, and they indeed are variable. Each file is meant to be a different "instance" of the variable font.

I tested it in MS Word just to be sure, and it also breaks there. However, MS Word does render the Black weight of the font correctly, and some other weights incorrectly.

Hopefully a future version of Affinity will support variable fonts.

This font family was changed to variable with Windows 11.

If you have access to a Windows 10 system, these fonts are static versions.
Included with the Windows 10 Pan-European Supplemental Fonts Pack.
But it only has 6 styles vs. the 16 style instances in the variable fonts.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/fonts/windows_10_font_list#-pan-european-supplemental-fonts

1 minute ago, kenmcd said:

This font family was changed to variable with Windows 11.

If you have access to a Windows 10 system, these fonts are static versions.
Included with the Windows 10 Pan-European Supplemental Fonts Pack.
But it only has 6 styles vs. the 16 style instances in the variable fonts.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/fonts/windows_10_font_list#-pan-european-supplemental-fonts

Thanks, Ken. That makes so much sense! I remembered the type family being static from the Windows 10 days.

I hope Microsoft still makes it available through some means. Will look more into it.

8 minutes ago, yashbutno said:

I hope Microsoft still makes it available through some means. Will look more into it.

Also, if you have access to Office 365 you can probably coax it into giving you the static versions from the cloud fonts.
Worked with Bahnschrift.

17 minutes ago, kenmcd said:

Also, if you have access to Office 365 you can probably coax it into giving you the static versions from the cloud fonts.
Worked with Bahnschrift.

I will try that! Thanks for telling me this! Hope it works.