You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

List aspect ratios of document options on new document selection screen

It would be great if, on the new document selection screen, it listed the aspect ratios of the options as well as the (current) pixel or inch dimensions.

It is often more important to me to get the aspect ratio right than the actual document size, so this would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Whereabouts on that dialog would you like to see the aspect ratio information? In the list on the left (for each item), in the preview panel at top-right, in the summary panel at bottom-right, or elsewhere?

And should the displayed aspect ratio be reversed, or not, when the document orientation changes between landscape and portrait?

For facing-page documents in Publisher, should the displayed aspect ratio be for a single page or the whole spread?

Should the displayed aspect ratio take bleed into account, or not?

How many decimal places should be displayed when the numbers are not integers? Or should the software try to always display the ratio numbers in integers if possible, e.g. 6:13 versus 0.461538:1)?

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

And should the displayed aspect ratio be reversed, or not, when the document orientation changes between landscape and portrait?

It is typically width : height, so a classic monitor or a 4/3 camera sensor size would have a 4:3 aspect ratio, typical TV resolutions such as HD and Ultra HD are 16:9, and DCI cinema formats such as 2K and 4K are 17:9, for starters.  If flipped to portrait, it would be 3:4, 9:16, 9:17, etc.

For facing-page documents in Publisher, should the displayed aspect ratio be for a single page or the whole spread?

Even a facing pages document typically has single pages for the first and often last spread, so this one is a bit more up in the air.  My vote would be to stick with per page?

Should the displayed aspect ratio take bleed into account, or not?

Bleed is not part of the page proper - it is an overprinting area to allow for cropping.  I would exclude it.

How many decimal places should be displayed when the numbers are not integers?

Two is typical in the film/video world, which is where I suspect this request is probably coming from.

6 hours ago, gizmo2501 said:

It is often more important to me to get the aspect ratio right than the actual document size

You could rename the presets to include the ratio or create your own presets, and add them to new categories if you need it. 

image.png.17ae28e416f7dd2365b8288bed808db5.png

Tools for managing presets:
Add a new preset | New category  _____________ Rename the preset | Delete the preset

image.png.bcddce737c0199699de9ee967796be56.png

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.