You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EPS File for Photoshop

Hello everyone

I have a problem and the printing company we work with wants an EPS file from me. He is using Photoshop and cannot open the file properly. He can't process it any further.

How can I save the EPS in Affinity Designer so that it is compatible with Photoshop?

Is there any reasoning why they would want to use EPS via Photoshop, of all things?

(Back in the day, the main reason to use EPS in that context were e.g. duotone images which we would create in Photoshop. But Affinity is not compatible with duotone at all – sadly – although there are workarounds.)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

They might actually want to have an Illustrator EPS file to be rasterized in Photoshop (kind of foolproof), and you cannot produce such file. Try/ask if a PDF will do (and perhaps ask also, which kind of a PDF they want to have, CMYK or RGB, etc.)

40 minutes ago, wonderings said:

would never ask for an EPS made from Photoshop

They did not ask a Photoshop EPS file, which is a specific press-specific, nowadays probably more or less legacy format allowing extended features like color management, similarly as .DCS EPS files allowing color separations, and as mentioned, things like duotones. My guess is that they might have asked an EPS file once hearing about an unspecified vector job, and might have first tried to open it in Illustrator, and when not being happy, might have taken it in Photoshop for rendering, but not getting expected results there, either. Photoshop is still a kind of a last resort for getting prepared a messy vector job that cannot be satisfactorily processed for print as vectors, and the job needs to be in press already. But OP's situation might of course have been different... A properly created PDF might nevertheless be what could work.

1 hour ago, Joschi1980 said:

Thank you for your answers, I was able to solve it myself. If I put a png file of it in inscape and save it, it will also be displayed correctly in Photoshop

If they just need a raster file I would recommend sticking with Jpeg and making sure it is CMYK. I am sure there will be no major issues but a PNG will still have to be converted to CMYK for printing, and depending on the software that is doing the converting it will convert differently. If not colour critical then no issues, though if you are picky and want some sort of idea of the colour shift always good to do this first. 

You want to export as lossless and color accurate as only possible. Neither PNG nor JPEG are good options.

If they want to rasterize your design for print using Photoshop, you may as well send them a PDF. Photoshop can handle that just fine.

What kind of print is it going to be anyway? 
(This all sounds like a "last millenium workflow" to me… :D)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

4 hours ago, loukash said:

You want to export as lossless and color accurate as only possible. Neither PNG nor JPEG are good options.

I agree, though if you have to choose one jpeg can at least be saved as CMYK whereas a PNG file can only be RGB and will always have to be converted again to CMYK. 

15 hours ago, Joschi1980 said:

So would it be better to take a JPG file instead of a png? I don't know if the file has to have a Raster. It's supposed to be an EPS file only mine from Affinity it can't open properly.

A jpeg is better in my opinion if saved as a CMYK jpeg, otherwise you are going through the same process as a PNG. If your artwork is original vector then as loukash said a PDF would be better as it retains the vector elements and resolution is no longer an issue. I would be curious to know what the print shop is using if they can't handle PDF's/vector files.