You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't cut-paste content from other pages : Affinity Publisher 2

INTRO: I am working on a 6" x 9" book and it has about 181 pages.

COMPLETED: I have placed the MS Word manuscript and spread it across all the pages.

GOAL: The question is with regards to the 2, 3, and 4 pages which is a dedication page - each page having a small paragraph. I would like to bring the 3 paragraphs into 1 page instead of spreading it across 3 pages.

PROBLEM: Neither can I delete the blank spaces (like in Word) to bring the content together, nor cut-paste the paragraphs into page 2. It seems to me that the margin is stopping them from going anywhere. Also, when I tried copy-pasting (just to check what was going on), it just duplicated the content onto newer and new pages.

How do I fix it?

Turn on Show Special Characters: Text > Show Special Characters maybe there are page breaks.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

While waiting, I decided to continue with the other layout work. When I converted all the content to "Body", I was able to move the text by using the delete option. So, that fixed my aim to bring all paras to one page. I hope This is the right way.

@firstdefence I turned on Show SPecial Characters, and I can see this blue symbol pop up at the end of the word in the last sentence. Is this what you meant?

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

maybe there are page breaks.

Or it could be in the Paragraph panel; look what is in the Flow options > Begin [Start].
If necessary, change it to : Begin: Everywhere [Start: Anywhere]. 

4 hours ago, mdesigns said:

I turned on Show SPecial Characters, and I can see this blue symbol pop up at the end of the word in the last sentence.

To find the signification of those special characters (blue symbols), you can look at this: Special Characters.png

— From: 

Edited by Oufti
Name of the flow options corrected.

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

27 minutes ago, Oufti said:

Or it could be in the Paragraph panel; look what is in the Flow options > Begin.
If necessary, change it to : Begin: Everywhere. 

To find the signification of those special characters (blue symbols), you can look at this: Special Characters.png

The blue symbol: Mine is a Paragraph Break. Thanks for sending that cheat sheet! Very helpful.

The Flow Options: For the page which I have fixed (3 paras into 1 page), below is the Flow Options setting:

Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 11.29.57 pm.png

1 hour ago, mdesigns said:

While waiting, I decided to continue with the other layout work. When I converted all the content to "Body", I was able to move the text by using the delete option. So, that fixed my aim to bring all paras to one page. I hope This is the right way.

@firstdefence I turned on Show SPecial Characters, and I can see this blue symbol pop up at the end of the word in the last sentence. Is this what you meant?

Yes, as Oufti has shown the special characters are hidden by default but they can help troubleshoot issues. Re your solution, it may have been a paragraph style that had some lock or limitation but glad you got it sorted, persistence pays as they say. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions