You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need some help with gradient and embossed effect.

Hello,

I've been given a project an not 100% sure how to do this. My first two efforts didn't seem to get the desired effect, so though I might defer to the experts here! Thank you in advance for any help.

So I have an image of a silver police badge (an illustration) and a image of a bottle cap. What I am wanting to do is 1. change the color of the badge so it matches the gradient and goldfish color of the bottle cap, and then, 2. replace the star in the badge with the bottle cap, so it appears it's embossed like the star is. Hope that makes sense? The star in the center seems part of the badge and stands out in relief or 3D. Whilst the cap appears to be 3D by itself, I am not sure how to combine them and get the colors to match. 

Thank you for any help! I really appreciate it.

bottle cap-goldgradient.png

badge-silver.png

A simple recolour filter will get the badge colour to match the cap...
Screenshot2024-01-26at12_42_07.png.98bb96c6696faf0ba3400d39ba0717ea.png

Hope you don't mind but a note re inserted graphics on posts, you can double click on them during post creation and or amendment and scale them to make the post more legible, I generally scale to 500px, when people click on them they will be able to view them at the correct size.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The cap is a bit more involved but maybe something like this?
Screenshot2024-01-26at13_14_35.png.c57a141861465c6221d87e98fc317f7c.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you so much, firstdefence, this is precisely what I wanted to do.

Also, thanks for the tip about adding pics to posts. I never knew you could do this, and will certainly be mindful in the future.

A couple of questions…

1. When you open up the recolor adjustment Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Recolor, how did you get the exact color of the bottle cap? What I see in the Recolor window is Hue, Saturation, and Lightness, but I don’t see a color picker. Since I’m a bit color blind with some shades, I’m wondering how did you get the color to match so precisely? Normally, I would think there was a picker that you could sample from, no?

2. When you created the embossed look for the cap, I see you used the layer FX in the screenshot, but am unable to see the settings you used to create the effect. Are you able to send me the Affinity file?

I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to help me with this, and once again,  grateful I am learning something new I’ll be able to do with this amazing Affinity software.

Thank you,

Chris

1 hour ago, chriscaldwell said:

1. When you open up the recolor adjustment Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Recolor, how did you get the exact color of the bottle cap? What I see in the Recolor window is Hue, Saturation, and Lightness, but I don’t see a color picker. Since I’m a bit color blind with some shades, I’m wondering how did you get the color to match so precisely? Normally, I would think there was a picker that you could sample from, no?

Hi Chris, I just eyeballed it, I have quite good eyesight, I think the recolour filter should have a colour picker tool but I guess it works differently than the colour panel.

1 hour ago, chriscaldwell said:

2. When you created the embossed look for the cap, I see you used the layer FX in the screenshot, but am unable to see the settings you used to create the effect. Are you able to send me the Affinity file?

Here is the file, again was just trial and error to get a look I was happy with, I've probably over worked it. I did make the cap using the cog tool and an ellipse.

Gold Badge.afdesign

There is an alternative way to colour the badge...

1. Use the Colour Panel and the colour picker tool to select a colour from the original cap (I used the right side of the cap)
  2. Drop into Pixel Persona and Cmd Click on the Badge layer to make a selection
  3. Add a pixel layer and use the fill tool to fill the selection onto the pixel layer
  4. Change the pixel layers blend mode to colour.

Hello again!

I'm experimenting with some settings in Layer FX to try and recreated what firstdefence did, and while things are coming along much better, I'm not trusting my own eyes yet. Does it appear that the bottle cap is still floating and not embossed and part of the badge? Perhaps it's a color or shadow setting that needs something? I have attached the actual .afdesign file and also this screenshot. I'm just trying to make the bottle cap area look like it's punched out of the badge as much as possible.

Thank you

image.png.5995d1c029984596f5d8f5bb4d24e094.png

badge project 2.afdesign