You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot paint in mask in Affinity Photo 2.3.1

Affinity Photo 2.3.1

Windows 10 22H2

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

32GB RAM

Hardware acceleration: Default (NVIDIA 3070) 

Graphics tablet and pen: Intuos CTH-690

Reproducible: YES

Problem occurs in new document? SOMETIMES

WHAT HAPPENED:

Was editing a photo, decided to convert to RGB/32 to use subtractive saturation.  Added a pixel layer and a mask, selected paintbrush tool, set it to black at 100% opacity and 10% hardness, tried to paint, but it wouldn't.  Tried with graphics tablet and with mouse, neither worked. Gradient tool worked successfully in mask, but of course wasn't what I needed.

Re-converting back to RGB/16 did not help. Changing hardware acceleration to WARP did not help. Restarting Affinity Photo did not help. Closed the problem photo.

Restarted Affinity Photo and loaded a different photo and did NOT convert to RGB/32 from RGB/16. Added a pixel layer and a mask and COULD successfully paint on it.  Closed Affinity Photo, tried painting on a mask in a new photo (in RGB/16) and now I could NOT paint on a mask.

The only thing that has changed recently is upgrading Affinity applications.

I've enclosed the problem RGB/32 file (bets-380-subtractive-saturation.afphoto) and the "virgin" RGB/16 file that also had the mask problem (P7080037.afphoto.) Please do not make either photo public.

bets-380-subtractive saturation.afphoto P7080037.afphoto

P7080037.afphoto bets-380-subtractive saturation.afphoto

6 hours ago, webb said:

Added a pixel layer and a mask, selected paintbrush tool, set it to black at 100% opacity and 10% hardness, tried to paint, but 

All said sounds more like a generic „brush does not work“ issue not related to RGB/32.

Whenever you observer a brush not working, the first things to do:

• save file with history. This really helps to analyze the issue.
  • Do not close Photo, let it open
  • Create a new document, add a pixel layer, try the same tool (pixel brush, erase brush) there. Does it work?
  • Use layer isolation /solo mode 
  • use navigator panel and make it really large 
  • make a screen recording using the Windows default tools.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

@NotMyFault is right about this being a more general problem of the brush not working. I swear when I was testing earlier I could paint on masks when working in RGB/16, but now neither the mouse nor the graphic tablet seems to work on masks or otherwise, whether using 8-, 16-, or 32-bit settings.

Enclosed is a simple afphoto file (history saved) and a video that shows the failure.

What I did:  created a new document, added a pixel layer, filled it with turquoise, selected the paint brush tool, ensured it was set to black, and attempted to paint in black on the turquoise pixel layer, but I couldn't. The paint brush cursor is hard to see on the video, so I made the history visible so you can see that I used it. This is an RGB/8 example.

Previously, thinking this might be some strangeness about my setup, I reinstalled AP and rebooted, but the brush behavior was unchanged. The file and the video were created after I had done this.

I can't imagine that this is a widespread problem with AP since painting is so fundamental--it must be something about my setup...but I simply don't know how to get that functionality back. Certainly open to suggestions.

--Webb

brush-not-working.afphoto

Brush flow is zero. 

IMG_1034.jpeg

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

My face is red! That was the problem. Don't know how brush flow got set to 0, but setting it to 100 solved my issue.

Thank you, @NotMyFault, despite my embarrassment.

--Webb

You are welcome. We all have moments not recognizing the obvious