You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Crashing on 2.3.1

Hi,

I have one specific afpub file that, since upgrading to 2.3.1, will no longer open - or rather, it opens, then after 5-7 seconds, crashes and closes Publisher entirely. I have tried multiple other files I'm working with and I can't recreate it with any others.

I sent the file to a friend who is still on 2.3.0 and they were able to open it fine (be it with missing resources etc). They resaved under a different file name and sent it back for me to try, but I get the same outcome. I was able to open this one long enough to open the resource manager and update two art pieces that had been modified, then save - but a few moments later the same issue kicks in and Publisher crashes.

Anyone have any clue what could possibly cause this?

Thanks in advance!

On suggestion from a friend, I may have fixed it - apparently they had similar issues before. I linked dropbox to the app within the settings and it seems to have solved the issue. I had no idea that option was there and have no idea what it's doing in the background, nor do I know what none of my other projects seem to have needed that loving touch, but it does appear to have solved my problem!

Then it was probably due to some missing resources from dropbox account (aka linked resources and the like).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @toddpickens & sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Are you using Affinity Publisher on Windows, macOS or iPad?

What behaviour are you currently experiencing? does the file load and display, then crash - or crash before being displayed in the app?

Do you see any error message or crash report when this occurs?

18 hours ago, toddpickens said:

Do you know where I can locate an install for the previous build of publisher?

This will depend on which OS you are using, and your install method (ie Affinity Store, Mac App Store, Windows Store etc) - can you please confirm this for me?

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me - it sounds as though you're using the MSIX version from the Affinity Store, meaning you can find previous install versions at the link below:

https://store.serif.com/update/windows/publisher/2/

However we'd certainly like to help resolve the issue in the latest version, such that this does not occur in later patches. Can you please expand on the exact behaviour you're seeing, or provide a copy of the affected document here for me? :) 

• Staff

Thanks for letting us know @Patrick Gilmour & apologies for the delayed response to the thread you've linked - I can see this is assigned to a colleague of mine and should be responded to asap.

I'm glad to hear you've been able to find a workaround in order to get the file in an editable state, however our team will likely have further questions in the linked thread so that we can try and determine the exact cause of the issue in your file and stop it from happening in the future :)