You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trying to export the attached file, in png, svg and pdf formats. The problem is the colors become messed up.

It also looks good to me. Is there one specific format that looks wrong to you? Or can you show us some screenshots and give an indication of the Export settings you used?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I’m no expert here, but this looks very similar. How did you determine the colours were wrong.

If it looks pixelated, can increase size of doc, and pixelation will be less significant. Will relook tho.

Any pixel image will look pixelated if zoomed it, but not the way this kind of design is normally viewed.

Ahaaaaa, so a Frankendesign file AKA Frankenlayer, so try to eliminate the imported elements resulting in the ugliness. Simple curves are one thing, but gradients  can put bolts poking out of your neck! The way Adobe may implement a gradient maybe incompatible with Affinity export algorithm.

Any attempt to adjust a Frankendesign file maybe fraught with frustration.

I tried to simplify the design by saving it as PDF/X-1a:2003 from Illustrator CS6 (the design itself was created with a later version of Illustrator). This flattens transparencies and makes sure everything is in CMYK color space (+ the two PANTONE inks included):

Artelac_Ectoin_GR_logotype_pdfx1.pdf

But Affinity apps do not support the full range of PDF-objects (e.g. Smooth Shaders) so this does not help. Perhaps there is some use of the produced PDF/X-1a file, even if it basically makes the design less truthful to the original (making it possibly easier to make fixes in Designer).

I wonder if VectorFirstAid (by AstuteGraphics) would be able to simplify the design, but unfortunately it is quite a pricey package nowadays (and I am not sure if it even supports older CS based AI formats anymore), but if that cannot do it, I do not know what could...

UPDATE:

Here is a quick effort to fix this based on the above PDF/X-1a file. I applied Multiply blend mode to the logo guy to have the PANTONE tones blended with underlying blue. If exported further to a PDF format that allows live transparencies, the colors stay pretty much as viewed on the canvas (if transparencies are flattened, Affinity apps only support rasterization and the edges will get terribly jagged). There are all kinds of flaws but perhaps the design could be used (without rasterization) based on the PDF/X-1 version.

Artelac_Ectoin_GR_logotype_kindoffix.afdesign 

It seems the major issue was after all related to PANTONE inks behaving unexpectedly when rendered with complex gradients (and when flattening transparencies), so I noticed that Illustrator, too, distorts the colors when the PDF/X-1a export with PANTONE inks is opened back.

Converting the PANTONE inks to global CMYK colors appears to have fixed the color issue, so the attached transparency flattened and CMYK-only PDF could probably be used as an acceptable base for .afdesign conversion:

Artelac_Ectoin_GR_logotype_pdfx1_fixed_ai.pdf

More generally: using PANTONE inks in these kinds of designs is often problematic since rendering on screen is at best only a kind of a guess.

8 hours ago, Luscious Tuba said:

Thanks a ton!

You're welcome. Note that the PANTONE color representations were initially defined in Lab, but I used their CMYK conversions in Coated Fogra 39 color space, because the AI file itself was in CMYK color mode. Also, the specific PANTONE colors that were used in the file do not look noticeably brighter even if the document color mode were changed to RGB (specifically sRGB), so there is no significant loss in color fidelity. Also, if logo(type)s with brand (spot) colors are printed without using special inks, it is often meaningful to use CMYK representations of them to have as much as possible identical visual appearance in printed (CMYK) and digital outputs (PNG and SVG) (provided, though, that correct color profiles are used). 

Note, too, that transparency flattening done by Illustrator (when converting to PDF/X-1a) did rasterize part of the gradients that were used in the logo. Adobe apps can often flatten transparencies using pure vectors, but not necessarily in complex cases like this. I tried selective transparency flattening on the canvas (where it is possible to define to what extent rasterization is used, if at all), but results when exporting were clearly poorer than when using automated conversion (rasterizations were much coarser). It might be possible to get a pure vector design without transparencies and color rendering issues, but it would probably take pretty much time and lots of testing.