You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extra Black Space appears on the top when export

I am trying to export my created data as a PDF for printing at a printing company.

I don't believe there is any data extending beyond the layers, but when I export with the above settings, an extra black space appears at the top. I have placed the image data right at the 0mm mark on the X-axis of the layers, so when exporting to PDF, I would like it to be without any black space and only include the part of the data I created.

This is my first time using the export function, so I would appreciate your guidance.

Thank you.
(I'm Japanese, and I asked ChatGPT to translate this, so the English might not be very natural.)

macOS 13.6.3 / 14.2.1
Affinity Photo 2.3.0

cannot_export_exact_size.afphoto cannot_export_exact_size.pdf

Hi @ytk and welcome to the forums,

I don't see an extra black space at the top of your PDF file, both your Affinity Photo and exported PDF look exactly as they should... Could you upload a screenshot indicating the extra black space you see...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

8 hours ago, Hangman said:

I don't see an extra black space at the top of your PDF file, both your Affinity Photo and exported PDF look exactly as they should..

I see the same -- no extra black space & no difference between the tow files.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you for your reply @Hangman, @R C-R.

Indeed, when I checked just now, the black part at the top had disappeared. Since it was displayed in the preview on the right side of Finder app, it might be an issue with Finder app. I tried exporting again, but it didn't appear, so I'll consult again if it happens again.

When I drag the preview during export, it seems like there are transparent areas on the top and right sides. Is this okay? (I'll attach a screenshot).

I forgot to write the details of my Mac, so I'll note them here.
MacBook Pro 14-inch 2021, Apple M1 Pro, 16GB memory.

スクリーンショット 2023-12-26 21.43.49.png

スクリーンショット 2023-12-26 21.44.01.png

8 minutes ago, ytk said:

When I drag the preview during export, it seems like there are transparent areas on the top and right sides. Is this okay? (I'll attach a screenshot).

That's fine, the transparent background in the preview window isn't reflected in the exported PDF, I think you're simply seeing the result of Apple's elastic scroll...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse