You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 2 Selection and Fill Layers compared to PS Solid Color Adjustments

Hi, 

I've been slowly getting used to Affinity Photo and really do like it. However, moving from Photoshop I am really missing what seems to be some really simple tasks. I've been watching videos and reading forums on how fill layers work but I can't seem to find a workflow that fits the ease of what I did in Photoshop.

For example,

In PS, I can quickly use the selection tool to add a marque selection. Most often a rectangle. I tend to use Solid Color a lot. I can easily select my mask from the layer as well as changing the color. With the move tool, I can move the selection around the canvas.

In Affinity Photo however, I can easily create the selection, I use a Fill Layer to add the color and change accordingly. However, when it comes to moving the layer in the canvas, it moves the outside of the selection of my document as well. Surely I should just move my small rectangle selection I made? Also, I cannot easily edit my selection as I can in PS.

image.png.0990f2c5f34e413156d83d7e298b8a25.png

image.thumb.png.39de79c17fb624e64d3476ff79b266d5.png

Like I said, I am really liking the software so far. But I do have teething problems of some solutions I have found to be very quick and easy in PS.

Any help would be fantastic!

Thank you

4 minutes ago, HomeGrownHeroz said:

Haven't had any interest in this post. Does it need to be moved to a different forum category? 

Here is fine. It has only been a few hours. Plus I had to read, re-read and then just guess as to what you are wanting to do.

17 hours ago, HomeGrownHeroz said:

... I can easily create the selection, I use a Fill Layer to add the color and change accordingly. However, when it comes to moving the layer in the canvas,....

I think your problem is that you are using a Fill layer. I don't know how you are making your selection but a marquee selection and the fill tool on a Pixel layer may give you what you want.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

50 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Here is fine. It has only been a few hours. Plus I had to read, re-read and then just guess as to what you are wanting to do.

I think your problem is that you are using a Fill layer. I don't know how you are making your selection but a marquee selection and the fill tool on a Pixel layer may give you what you want.

Thanks for your reply. I thought I was fairly clear actually. Not sure how best to explain.

In both PS and Affinity I am using the Marquee selection tool. In PS, I have a layer where I can easily see and edit the mask.

The method mentioned above, does allow me to move the filled marquee selection around, but it doesn't appear to be a mask in the same way PS is.

I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much of a simple function in one program I'm used to. 

I still don't know what it is you are trying to achieve. You talk about selections and masks. Adobe PhotoShop and Affinity Photo are going to have some very different ways of working. 

Are you wanting to Mask something? Are you wanting to select part of a mask and move that? Are you wanting to restrict painting to a particular area?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

I still don't know what it is you are trying to achieve. You talk about selections and masks. Adobe PhotoShop and Affinity Photo are going to have some very different ways of working. 

Are you wanting to Mask something? Are you wanting to select part of a mask and move that? Are you wanting to restrict painting to a particular area?

In PS, I primarily used the marque selection tool to create the required shapes for adjustment layers. The adjustment layers in PS are then masked to the selection I previously had. In particular, solid fill colours or level adjustments can be used within that mask. In PS I can move that masked layer around, for example a blue cube. Quickly change the colour (as can a fill layer) or edit the mask.

This to me seems like quite a basic function that I should easily be able to replicate. However in Affinity Photo, when I create a fill layer from a selection as I've found is an alternative way advised from another post, the mask does not behave how I assume it would. If I try to move the rectangle selection, it moves a mask within the whole canvas, rather than the filled selection.

Ideally I just want to be able to use a selection to create a mask from an adjustment layer. Then move the selection itself, rather than the canvas.

I hope that makes more sense. Thank you again for taking the time to assist. If Affinity Photo cannot achieve the exact method I am after, then that's fine.

image.png.3f7c78aa739c76ae07330157be45e414.png

1 minute ago, HomeGrownHeroz said:

In PS, I primarily used the marque selection tool to create the required shapes for adjustment layers. The adjustment layers in PS are then masked to the selection I previously had. 

That is kind of how it works in Affinity Photo. Make your Marquee selection, add an adjustment layer and the built in mask (in the Adjustment Layer) will allow you to apply the adjustment to the masked area. There is no need to make a coloured shape first. If you absolutly want to go on using the extra step then you can use the various Vector tools to make coloured shapes which can then be changed to Pixel selections, like the Marquee tool makes, by using the Select > Selection from Layer

ScreenShot2023-12-18at9_36_42AM.png.5f51e7ea5b53f6022ce6f2dfc64e73d8.png

As I stated in my first post, "I think your problem is that you are using a Fill layer." Do not use a Fill layer, it doesn't do what you want it to do so stop using it for this.

15 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

That is kind of how it works in Affinity Photo. Make your Marquee selection, add an adjustment layer and the built in mask (in the Adjustment Layer) will allow you to apply the adjustment to the masked area. There is no need to make a coloured shape first. If you absolutly want to go on using the extra step then you can use the various Vector tools to make coloured shapes which can then be changed to Pixel selections, like the Marquee tool makes, by using the Select > Selection from Layer

ScreenShot2023-12-18at9_36_42AM.png.5f51e7ea5b53f6022ce6f2dfc64e73d8.png

As I stated in my first post, "I think your problem is that you are using a Fill layer." Do not use a Fill layer, it doesn't do what you want it to do so stop using it for this.

Thanks for that. So that does kind of work. I am indeed able to move my selection using the Selection from layer, however it still seems like an extra step in terms of being able to move the mask around as easily as in PS.

Regarding the fill layer then. What would be my alternative in an example like this then?

In this texture I've made I've got a few simple adjustment layers.

1) A simple levels adjustment to a selection in the top left corner

2) I've created a mask over the two white strips and used the fill layer. Would there be a better method for adding a solid colour in mask?

I understand you mentioned using shapes but I tend to use selection tools to quickly make the required shapes for my masks. In this case two rectangles with their ends trimmed at an angle.

Thanks again.

image.png.7bffcf517604a1b485a59b59c1170fac.png

10 minutes ago, HomeGrownHeroz said:

Thanks for that. So that does kind of work. I am indeed able to move my selection using the Selection from layer, however it still seems like an extra step in terms of being able to move the mask around as easily as in PS.

I don't quite get why you want to move the mask around. We must have different ways of working.

9 minutes ago, HomeGrownHeroz said:

2) I've created a mask over the two white strips and used the fill layer. Would there be a better method for adding a solid colour in mask?

I am baffled as to why you want (or need) a solid colour in a mask.

You can make a new Pixel layer and then fill the pixel layer with your chosen colour.

I have to admit that I am very confused what it is you are wanting to achieve and I fear that I may be muddying the waters. I would suggest you watch a few tutorials on masking and making selections in Photo from the Affinity Website. Here are three to start with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoaTUgUBoCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fiCvurH0is

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I don't quite get why you want to move the mask around. We must have different ways of working.

I am baffled as to why you want (or need) a solid colour in a mask.

You can make a new Pixel layer and then fill the pixel layer with your chosen colour.

I have to admit that I am very confused what it is you are wanting to achieve and I fear that I may be muddying the waters. I would suggest you watch a few tutorials on masking and making selections in Photo from the Affinity Website. Here are three to start with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoaTUgUBoCE

Whilst I appreciate your help, I'm afraid to say you've also come across a bit condescending. I use PS for texture creation for games. That texture posted above for example was completed using mask selections and adjustment layers in PS. Adding a simple solid colour for the base model is very common method for texture creation in a game dev workflow.

Editing and moving the masks on the fly is more of a preference. For example, if I bake out a new texture from a 3D model the mapping of my model will change. Then I may be required to move or edit my layer mask to cover the new areas of the models texture. 

Its fine if you work differently. I've used PS for many years and I have a very simple workflow that's gotten me fantastic results so far. I'll continue searching videos and forum posts but I am surprised it doesn't seem to have the basic functionality of these movements that I've been used to.

Thank you again however.

In this particular case, I would use a vector shape tool such as a rectangle for the mask, as using the Rectangle tool is more flexible than the Affinity Photo Rectangular Marquee tool.

Video A:

For more complex selections though, you will need to create an empty mask (black), then fill the selection with white using [Edit > Fill] (Shift + F5).

Video B:

21 minutes ago, HomeGrownHeroz said:

Adding a simple solid colour for the base model is very common method for texture creation in a game dev workflow.

Okay, now I think I am getting there in my understanding.

You are needing to have the coloured areas because you are going to work on them. I would suggest using Pixel layers once you have your pixel selection. Pixel layers are your friend here, Fill layers are useless for your type of work. You will have to use the Fill tool to fill the pixel layer after you've made your selection.

21 minutes ago, HomeGrownHeroz said:

Editing and moving the masks on the fly is more of a preference. For example, if I bake out a new texture from a 3D model the mapping of my model will change. Then I may be required to move or edit my layer mask to cover the new areas of the models texture. 

And you are now needing to add to or alter the area of the mask you have already used... Okay now I understand (I think). Myself I would make a new mask after saving the old one as Spare Channel. I would probably use Affinity Photo's vector tools in this case. But this is pure conjecture on my part.

Our problem with communicating is most likely down to me not doing this sort of work at all. Sorry for coming off as condescending, I was unaware of the type of work you are doing. Which is something unlike anything I have done hence me giving you erroneous hints and advise.

14 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Okay, now I think I am getting there in my understanding.

You are needing to have the coloured areas because you are going to work on them. I would suggest using Pixel layers once you have your pixel selection. Pixel layers are your friend here, Fill layers are useless for your type of work. You will have to use the Fill tool to fill the pixel layer after you've made your selection.

And you are now needing to add to or alter the area of the mask you have already used... Okay now I understand (I think). Myself I would make a new mask after saving the old one as Spare Channel. I would probably use Affinity Photo's vector tools in this case. But this is pure conjecture on my part.

Our problem with communicating is most likely down to me not doing this sort of work at all. Sorry for coming off as condescending, I was unaware of the type of work you are doing. Which is something unlike anything I have done hence me giving you erroneous hints and advise.

No problem. I could have given a real world example at the start to be fair. My bad there.

I do really appreciate your help. I was getting frustrated myself. I'd love to just use PS but refuse to give the evil Adobe corporation any more money :D 

Thank you kindly for the responses. I'll give that a go. 

31 minutes ago, - S - said:

In this particular case, I would use a vector shape tool such as a rectangle for the mask, as using the Rectangle tool is more flexible than the Affinity Photo Rectangular Marquee tool.

Video A:

For more complex selections though, you will need to create an empty mask, then fill the selection with white using [Edit > Fill] (Shift + F5).

Video B:

Thank you very much for those recordings that is helpful. I think I'm fairly happy with the work around. 

My final question though regarding the mask is, can Affinity Photo simply not move masks in the same way as PS. As you demonstrated in the first video, when you move the selection mask of the rectangle, it moves the complete canvas with it. In PS, it moves the adjustment layer and the mask follows it. 

2 hours ago, HomeGrownHeroz said:

…My final question though regarding the mask is, can Affinity Photo simply not move masks in the same way as PS. As you demonstrated in the first video, when you move the selection mask of the rectangle, it moves the complete canvas with it. In PS, it moves the adjustment layer and the mask follows it. 

- If you select the parent layer in the Layers panel, the Move tool will move both the parent layer and the (child) mask layer together as one.

- If you select the parent layer in the Layers panel and tick the "Lock Children" tick box in the Context toolbar at the top, the Move tool will move just the parent layer; the (child) mask layer will stay where it is.  This is like breaking the link by clicking the "link" icon between the layer icon and the mask icon in the Photoshop Layers panel.

- If you select the (child) mask layer in the Layers panel, the Move tool will move just the mask.  However, if the mask was created from a selection using the default "New Mask" icon, then when the mask is moved, the black part of the mask isn't infinite, it will be restricted to the size of the canvas when the mask was created.  Hence, the need to use a work-a-round of using a new empty mask (black) and then filling the selection with white.  Or using a vector mask.

For what you're talking about, it has always operated like that in Affinity Photo.  Although, it appears buggy now as well – at 22 seconds and 26 seconds in the first video, you can see for some reason the black masked area jumps over the blue boundary by 200 pixels (at the bottom) when the left mouse button is released…