You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error exporting PDF in Affinity Publisher 1.10.6.1665

When I try exporting my current book project to PDF, I get an error: "An error occurred while exporting to: [location]". Searching these forums, I've tried cleaning up hyperlinks (made sure none were broken, made sure URLs didn't have spaces and the like). I also tried to narrow down where the issue is in the document by exporting chunks. I can now successful export the document in two halves without any error (pages 1-176 in one half, and 177-353 in the other), but when I try to export the entire thing, I get the error.

I previously didn't have this trouble exporting this document. It's only after expanding it with more content and adding an Index that I'm seeing the problem.

Hi @fieldworking and welcome to the forums,

Are you able to Package your Publisher file (File > Save as Package) so it includes any linked graphics and upload it so we can take a look? It's going to be almost impossible to diagnose without seeing the file.

If it's a client file which you can't upload to the public forum you can request a private Dropbox link so a member of the Serif moderation team can take a look at the possible causes of the issue you're experiencing.

Could you confirm which PDF preset or PDF settings you're using for the export?

I don't think it will make a difference but there is an updated version of Publisher available, v1.10.8 though I'm unsure of the specific bug fixes in that version.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi @fieldworking,

I've created a Dropbox link here if you'd rather not attach the package to the Forums.

Could you enable PDF logging as outlined on this post, then try exporting again and when it fails, you'll have a log file that you can attach here.

2 hours ago, Hangman said:

v1.10.8 though I'm unsure of the specific bug fixes in that version.

I'm pretty sure this mainly addressed the Light UI crash V1 suffered from when Sonoma was released.

10 minutes ago, stokerg said:

I'm pretty sure this mainly addressed the Light UI crash V1 suffered from when Sonoma was released.

Hi @stokerg,

Thanks for clarifying...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

I forgot to mention last night that when I turn off "Include hyperlinks" the document exports fine. 

@Hangman, I'm using a custom PDF setting: Raster DPI 144, X Preview export when complete, File format: PDF, Rasterize: Unsupported properties, X Downsample images, above 180 DPI, Resampler: Bilinear, Use DPI 144, X Allow JPEG compression Quality 98, Compatibility: PDF 1.7 (Acrobat 8), Color space: RGB, ICC Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1, X Convert image color spaces, X Honor spot colors, X Include hyperlinks, X Include bookmarks, X Include layers.

@stokerg, perfect! I've uploaded the document to the dropbox link. I've enabled PDF logging. I've attached the log file.

pdflib.log

• Staff

Hi @fieldworking,

Thanks for the log file and the package.

The problem is with page 290, you have 2 anchors set up on that page, both for Adventure Details.  The first one is okay but the 2nd anchor is applied to the afdesign file that's been placed and from checking the PDF export log, Affinity thinks this anchor is off the page and the export fails.  This was a bug that was fixed in Version 2 and your file exports out of V2 without issue.  You can fix this in Version 1, if you go to Page 290, call up the Anchors Panel (View>Studio>Anchors) and change the drop-down from All Spreads to Page 290, you'll then see the 2 anchors on this page.  The one set to export as a PDF bookmark is fine, it's the one that's set to not export as a bookmark that's causing the issue and if you delete that from the anchors panel, then go to Page 11 and select the Adventure Details text and hyperlink to the Adventure Details page on page 290, you'll then be able to export to PDF :)